SQLite Forum

SQLite: -tabs option is missing
Login

SQLite: -tabs option is missing

(1) By anonymous on 2020-10-31 15:51:02 [link] [source]

SQLite has a built-in 'tabs' mode. But it is not exposed as a command line option.

sqlite3.exe version 3.33.0 has options for all the other modes: -box, -html, -markdown, etc. But not -tabs.

And this causes various workarounds because providing a TAB character on the command line is not so straightforward.

1. sqlite3 mydb "select * from table1" | tr \| '\t'

2. sqlite3 -separator $'\t' mydb "select * from table1" ($ tells shell to expand \t to a TAB character)

sqlite3 mydb <<EOF
.mode tabs
select * from table1;
EOF

Neither of these solutions work on Windows.

It should be very easy to implement the -tabs option. And I believe it will make life easier for many people.

(2) By Donald Griggs (dfgriggs) on 2020-10-31 16:12:20 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Not speaking to the merits of your suggestion directly, but wanted to be sure you're aware that the commandline interface program does easily let you pick a separator for input or output.

.separator \t

(3) By anonymous on 2020-10-31 16:33:23 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

When I do -separator \t on Windows I get a literal '\t' string as a separator. I suppose it is the same on Linux. That is why solution #2 above has extra '$'.

And just in case, I did not mean interactive session. There I could activate .mode tabs directly. This is about "one-off" commands with the query on the command line.

(4.1) By TripeHound on 2020-10-31 22:15:42 edited from 4.0 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Either:

sqlite3 V1LS.sql3db -cmd ".mode tab" "select * from members"

or:

echo select * from members | sqlite3 V1LS.sql3db -cmd ".mode tab"

seems to work OK in Windows.

(5) By anonymous on 2020-10-31 19:03:36 in reply to 4.0 [link] [source]

Thank you! I overlooked that -cmd option.

That would be workaround #4.

I still think there should be -tabs option too though.

(6) By anonymous on 2020-10-31 19:05:34 in reply to 4.0 [source]

Correction: the mode is called 'tabs' not 'tab'.

(7) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-10-31 19:25:47 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Both .mode tab and .mode tabs have the same effect, leaving the tab character as the list mode column separator.