SQLite Forum

Proper set up for working with SQLite, C, Tcl/Tk?
Login

Proper set up for working with SQLite, C, Tcl/Tk?

(1) By Gary (1codedebugger) on 2021-03-18 05:00:09 [link] [source]

This isn't a SQLite how-to question but a where or in-what question. If out of scope here, please let me know and I will delete it if I have the permission to do so. It just seems that this may be the place from which to get the most-practical and least-subjective answer.

If one wants to develop using SQLite, C, and Tcl/Tk from a home office(bonus room) using a desktop set up, is there an operating system and/or other tool sets that would be preferrable in the long term? I've been using the SQLite C API and write my code in regular old notepad. I want to move about 50k lines of code from a different language into those mentioned above before writing more code, and received my 800 page Tcl/Tk book today.

I'm just an old novice and I don't care about IDEs and color-coding my code, just functionality in the things I can't see taking place. I don't care for Windows and hated Visual Studio; I'm not purchasing a Mac/Apple; I can't make any good sense out of the multitude of Linux distributions(they all seem the same apart from the GUI); and I'm too old to build my own even if I had the ability.

Is it all just about a visual preference or is there an OS truly better in fundamentals for coding in SQLite, C, and Tcl/Tk?

Thank you for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

(2) By curmudgeon on 2021-03-18 16:45:52 in reply to 1 [source]

I hated Visual Studio and swore I'd never go near it again but, a few months back, I downloaded visual studio code along with wsl2 (both free) so I could use a single app to access both windows and linux files. I love it. It has syntax highlighting for many languages (c, c++ & tcl included). I can open a bash shell or a command shell without leaving the app and compile c code using gcc.

(3) By Mark Benningfield (mbenningfield1) on 2021-03-18 16:47:55 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The primary reason to prefer a Linux distro is the fact that you get to use Valgrind.

Period. End of story.

Aside from that, there's the whole question of target platforms and portability (Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac).

(4) By Gerry Snyder (GSnyder) on 2021-03-20 00:11:35 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I have no great love for either Win or Visual Studio, but they (and magicsplat) make it trivial to compile the Tcl bindings.

(5) By Gary (1codedebugger) on 2021-03-20 04:03:39 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Maybe I need to reconsider Visual Studio. I've been trying to find tclkit and whatever else is required to build a starpack and every page/source I find hasn't been updated in 5 to 10 years.

I bought a newly printed book, although it was written about ten years ago, but nearly every source it references is out of date or a confusing visual mess to me.

(6) By Gary (1codedebugger) on 2021-03-21 04:48:20 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Just wanted to say thanks for the reference to magicsplat. I had never heard of it before and it lead me to a more recent book by eight years which includes information on starkits and starpacks; and the same web page linked to a tutorial on updates to Tk and some other useful documents. I'm not the greatest at web searching so this comment may be a bit unfair, but, where it's been written that Tcl/Tk is the "best-kept secret in the software industry" it might be in part to the fact that it is rather hard to find even when one is looking for it.