SQLite Forum

Not jumping to last entered message in a thread
Login

Not jumping to last entered message in a thread

(1) By Cecil (CecilWesterhof) on 2021-01-27 08:53:52 [link] [source]

When I see a thread that I think is interesting and open it, it always goes to the last entered message. Especially when I did not read any of it, I do not find it helpful.
Is there an option to change it? Could it otherwise be made, or is that a can of worms?

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-01-27 09:13:20 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Especially when I did not read any of it ...

The problem is that the forum does not remember who read what and recording that would be rather expensive in terms of db space and site performance, so the forum has to either do it one way or the other for all users/posts and the way it currently does it is most often the preferred one. Plus, such user-has-read-that state would not sync like the rest of the post-related data (it could not do so without violating user privacy unless only the syncer's own read history were synced). (Remember that the forum's data model is tied in to Fossil's DVCS data model, and forum posts are first-class DVCS members.)

(3) By Cecil (CecilWesterhof) on 2021-01-27 09:43:56 in reply to 2 [source]

I was afraid that it would be a can of worms.

But an option would be that default you get the last entered message, but that an user could set in his user options that he wants to be at the start of the thread.
I for one would override the default.