SQLite Forum

SQLITE3.EXE V3.37.2
Login

SQLITE3.EXE V3.37.2

(1) By anonymous on 2022-01-19 20:51:02 [link] [source]

Using Windows 11, SQLITE3.EXE now has a vertical scroll bar which makes the task of scanning the current session a lot easier.

(2) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-19 21:26:05 in reply to 1 [source]

Can you elaborate that a bit? To my knowledge, the sqlite3.exe published at the download page has no GUI, and "scroll bars" are a GUI feature. So your news is quite puzzling.

(3) By Bradley Spatz (bspatz) on 2022-01-19 22:22:18 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

If this is a result of double-clicking on sqlite3.exe, then this is not new. Works with my Windows 10; scrollbar attached to the "terminal window."

See https://sqlite.org/cli.html#double_click_startup_on_windows

(4) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-19 22:39:11 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

If that's what this is about, the same happens on Windows 10. But it is not due to any particular code in shell.c.

(7) By anonymous on 2022-01-19 23:06:52 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Double click on sqlite3.exe ...

v3.36 - no vertical scrollbar

v3.37.2 - vertical scrollbar

I don't know how to insert screenshots (here) to make what I see clearer ...

(8) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-19 23:15:07 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

When I double-click on the released v3.36 sqlite3.exe, I get a vertical scrollbar.

I think we're willing to take your word on the scrollbars without pictures. After all, those are easily faked if some grand hoax is in progress.

I'm pretty sure that the scrollbar presence depends upon whether the screenbuffer line limit is greater than the display line height, which settings can be set from the window that comes up and retained without further ado by a user. So no deep meaning should be attached to these variations. As I said, there is no code from the SQLite project at work behind this scrollbar presence (or absence.)

(11) By Florian Balmer (florian.balmer) on 2022-01-20 11:52:44 in reply to 8 [link] [source]

I'm pretty sure that the scrollbar presence depends upon whether the screenbuffer line limit is greater than the display line height, which settings can be set from the window that comes up and retained without further ado by a user.

That's likely the issue.

The screen buffer settings for the classic Windows Conhost console (not the new Windows Terminal) are available through the system menu of the console windows.

The "Layout" tab has settings to define the "Screen Buffer Size" and "Window Size", and also to define whether to "Wrap text output on resize". It's these three settings that determine whether or not the console window has horizontal scrollbars.

These settings can be (1) global (per-user), (2) local to individual programs (for example, powershell.exe has its own settings, and maybe others¹), and (3) local to individual shortcuts (.lnk files). By either of layers (2) or (3), the two versions of sqlite3.exe seem to use different settings.

¹) see output of:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console" /f "*" /k

(5) By Keith Medcalf (kmedcalf) on 2022-01-19 22:58:03 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

It works this way in Windows 1.0 and OS/2 as well and has for about 40 years...

(6) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-19 23:04:41 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

I take it your menagerie includes an operational Windows 1.0 system? Or are you claiming phenomenal memory? (I'm ready to be amazed either way.)

(9) By Keith Medcalf (kmedcalf) on 2022-01-19 23:21:52 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Actually, I do have a "running" Windows 1.0 machine. I also have a running "Microsoft Bob" machine. I have a wee Zilog (Z-80) box running CP/M as well.

(10) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-19 23:44:41 in reply to 9 [link] [source]

I have a hand-built, custom design, MC6809 puter (with 64K of DRAM and a $1K, 5MB, 5 inch hard drive), and would have a similar collection if not for the need to make sacrifices in the interest of marital harmony. It has been decades since it was powered, and its power supplies may have vanished along with all the other stuff having less sentimental value.

It would be fun to see that collection.

(Normally, thread hijacking is frowned upon here. But this one had no interesting future anyway.)