SQLite Forum

Question About Upgrading SQLite
Login

Question About Upgrading SQLite

(1) By DMoody007 on 2021-05-18 16:33:46 [source]

Afternoon,

I programmed my first SQLite application using Visual Studio 2013, .NetFramework 4.6.2 and SQLite Core 1.0.113.0. Mainly because everyone giving advice at the time said it was the most stable for what I was doing and I went for it. It took awhile to get used to it but worked great for over a year.

If the computer was incrementally upgraded from Windows 10, say 1709, to the latest 20H2. Everything continues to works great.

If we rebuild the computer using Microsoft's Media Creator and jump right to 20H2, the SQLite fails. Says it can not file the .dll. All the tricks I tried in previous version failures are no longer working in this 20H2 environment. New off the shelf computers with 1909 or 2004, work fine as well. Have yet to find a 20H2 off the shelf to try.

So question to the group. What kind of hornet nest am I about to kick if I upgrade my app to the latest .net and SQLite core? Is there a specific version I should try next or combination of versions? Any suggestions, expected pitfalls, etc would be appreciated.

Douglas

(2) By DMoody007 on 2021-05-18 19:25:05 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Answering my own question.

Posting in case someone else runs into this.

My application had pre-req's set to download Microsoft Visual C++ Redist packages and install if not present. On older windows builds, this works. On the 20H2, it fails without displaying an error. Makes you think the install is as usual when it is not. If I manually download and install the Redist packages, everything works great.

No need to upgrade .net at the moment or SQLite.

I need to go to Microsoft now and determine why the installer isn't prompting for required pkg and not denoting errors during install.

Thanks anyway everyone.

(3) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-05-18 19:47:43 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

You would probably find this rewrite of the (decades) old DLL dependency walker useful for future issues of this nature.