After reading a thread on stackoverflow I uninstalled tcl8.6 and then did 'sudo apt-get install tcl8.6-dev'. After that I found tclConfig.sh in '/usr/lib/tcl8.6' and added that to my PATH. I ran this script echo "updating trunk ..." exec > /dev/null fossil update trunk configure make make sqlite3_analyzer make sqldiff make test with response updating trunk ... ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U') ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U') So all working now :-) The make test footnote was SQLite 2021-01-27 19:15:06 9dc7fc9f04d5c14fc436e5ff5b4c06c1969ddde5857ebeb5dccd59b7c748c339 0 errors out of 249944 tests on sp4 Linux 64-bit little-endian All memory allocations freed - no leaks Maximum memory usage: 9196992 bytes Current memory usage: 0 bytes Number of malloc() : -1 calls Sublime stuff Richard. it's a wonder your head doesn't explode. I only started working with linux a couple of months back and if I was forced to eat a sweetie every tine I went off at a tangent I suspect I would've put on 30 stone by now.