SQLite Forum

alter table RENAME COLUMN took 3 hours
Login
I might try the install, but it’s a low priority compared to other things I need to do soon.  The brew install was not quite as simple as you imply, since it was “keg-only”, a term I did not know the meaning of before I encountered it.  Homebrew’s many beer analogies are endearing but not always transparent to someone like me who drinks mostly gin.

I lied a little about Oracle.  The documentation clarifies:

* Oracle Database automatically transfers integrity constraints, indexes, and grants on the old object to the new object.

* Oracle Database invalidates all objects that depend on the renamed object, such as views, synonyms, and stored procedures and functions that refer to a renamed table.

I found this behavior easy to live with.  Suppose, for example, I had a lot of code referencing table ARTHUR and I decided to refactor/normalize so that ARTHUR was a view joining two or more tables.    I was dealing with databases where some tables had billions of rows, so copying a table over was not something to take lightly.  I’m happy not to be dealing with stuff like that anymore.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help.  I’m very happy with SQLite.