SQLite Forum

Can a SQLite DB be accessed by another Computer?
Login

Can a SQLite DB be accessed by another Computer?

(1) By Fran3 (0130mB3) on 2022-01-07 23:47:04 [link] [source]

1 - As I understand it SQLite is basically the "back end" ... right?

2 - No built in GUI... but accessible via the command line or custom code... or some GUI app... right?

3 - There are GUI apps for using SQLite like SQLite Studio or DB Browser (SQLite), and others... right?

4 - Would it be correct to call these GUI apps... in effect... a "Front End" for SQLite?

5 - I understand that SQLite is not designed as a Client/Server DB like MySQL or others... but...

5a - Can SQLite run on locally on a peer-to-peer network machine while allowing others on the peer-to-peer network to access the data via something like DB Browser or SQLite Studio, or some other "front end" app? (The question here is can family or others on your local peer-to-peer network get to the data from any computer on the local p2p network)

5b - Is there anyway to have it in a Google Drive folder so users can access the data from anywhere using something like DB Browser or SQLite Studio... or some other app? (In his case the concern is... can you get to the data from anywhere... or must you have the computer with you with SQLite & some Front End app installed to get to your data)

Thanks for any help.

(2) By Keith Medcalf (kmedcalf) on 2022-01-08 00:59:18 in reply to 1 [source]

1 - As I understand it SQLite is basically the "back end" ... right?

SQLite is an in-process library. By itself, it does nothing.

2 - No built in GUI... but accessible via the command line or custom code... or some GUI app... right?

It is a library. You need an application that calls the library in order for anything to "happen" at all. This application may be "command line", a hooey-gooey, or even just a "thingimy of compiled code that runs with zero user interaction".

3 - There are GUI apps for using SQLite like SQLite Studio or DB Browser (SQLite), and others... right?

Yes. Anyone can write an application that uses the SQLite library. Many such applications exist.

4 - Would it be correct to call these GUI apps... in effect... a "Front End" for SQLite?

One could call a "glass" to hold "drinking water" a "GUI App for holding water in preparation for consumption", so I do not see why not. You can call whatever you like whatever you want.

5 - I understand that SQLite is not designed as a Client/Server DB like MySQL or others... but...

Correct. SQLite is a library. There is no reason that you could not write a "server application" that used the library, and that is accessed by a "client application" -- again, a number of people have done this already.

5a - Can SQLite run on locally on a peer-to-peer network machine while allowing others on the peer-to-peer network to access the data via something like DB Browser or SQLite Studio, or some other "front end" app? (The question here is can family or others on your local peer-to-peer network get to the data from any computer on the local p2p network)

No. You need an application because SQLite is merely a library which does nothing at all by itself. However, you could write (or use already written) applications that include the SQLite library.

Like every other database in existance, the database file must be local in order to update it reliably. You should be able to "READ" a remote database just fine (that is, if it is immutable).

5b - Is there anyway to have it in a Google Drive folder so users can access the data from anywhere using something like DB Browser or SQLite Studio... or some other app? (In his case the concern is... can you get to the data from anywhere... or must you have the computer with you with SQLite & some Front End app installed to get to your data)

Yes, provided that the database files are immutable during access.

Note that this is pretty rudimentary. Generally speaking, it the computer system and all its networking and filesystem operations are working properly, there should be no problem. Finding a computer system which "works properly" is likely to be very difficult (if not impossible) however.

(3.1) By cj (sqlitening) on 2022-09-20 21:03:39 edited from 3.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

SQLitening can run as client/server and it is free.
It is written in PowerBASIC and includes all source code.
I have used it for over 10-years and it works great.
Example:
slConnect "192.168.02",51000  'connect to an IP on setup port.
slOpen "sample.db3" 'open database
slselAry "select * from parts",sArray() '1 recordset to array 
slSel    "select * from parts"  '2 recordset can be read in a loop
s = slSelStr("select * from parts" '3 recordset to delimited string

Recordsets can also be created in 1 or 2-dimensional arrays.
slSelAry sql,sArray(),"Q9" 'create recordset 1-dimension columns separated ascii 9
slSelAry sql,sArray()    'array is 2-dimensional perfect for filling grids, etc ..

I searched for SQLitening on this forum and unfortunately this is it.
It is a very mature option and thread safe.
The source code is free and comes with the download.
Everything is written and compiled in 32-bit PowerBASIC.

https://sqlitening.planetsquires.com/index.php

(5) By Senior (Owamreta) on 2022-03-30 12:26:09 in reply to 3.0 [link] [source]

Hello,

Yes I have also been using SQLitening (the Client/Server implementation of the popular SQLite) for over ten successful years and its been awesome. The SQLitening website can be found here: www.sqlitening.com .

Kind regards.

(6) By jose isaias cabrera (jicman) on 2022-09-21 14:01:34 in reply to 3.1 [link] [source]

I didn't know about SQLitening until today. I will take a look and see if I can use it in an environment that uses a SharedDB with 8 people. Thanks for sharing.

(7) By Chris Locke (chrisjlocke1) on 2022-09-21 14:45:10 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

You can also use SQLite on a network share happily enough. You can use the system.data.sqlite.dll to access this database using vb.net or c#.net very easily.

(8) By jose isaias cabrera (jicman) on 2022-09-21 15:13:48 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

I have been sharing an SQLite DB in a Windows Shared-Folder environment since 2007, but using D1. Still doing it happily. :-) But, there was a lot of programming and headaches that I would have avoided with this app. However, I am a better man because of that project. :-)

(4.1) By Gerry Snyder (GSnyder) on 2022-01-08 18:17:40 edited from 4.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

5b - I keep my SQLite stuff in a Dropbox folder. For a few years I had two PC's running the same stuff. Usually I would close my app on one before starting up the other.

A few times I didn't and ended up with a "conflicted copy" of a file on one PC or both and had to try to figure out which version had what. But in general things worked pretty well. There was never a serious problem.

If only one PC (at a time) is making changes, and other accesses are read-only (as my workload has been for some time), I do not anticipate any problems at all.

Gerry