SQLite Forum

64-bit precompiled Linux binaries
Login

64-bit precompiled Linux binaries

(1) By Daniel (daniel15) on 2020-05-27 18:51:55 [link]

Would it be possible to provide 64-bit precompiled Linux binaries on the SQLite site? I'm using SQLite in an environment where only 64-bit programs can run (no 32-bit glibc is installed) and I don't have root access, so I can't use the 32-bit builds nor can I install SQLite using the OS package manager.

Thanks!

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-05-27 19:12:59 in reply to 1

>  I don't have root access, so I can't use the 32-bit builds nor can I install SQLite using the OS package manager.

You don't need root access to build and install it under your home directory. i do have root access on all of my machines but have never once used it to install fossil (which is installed on all of my machines): that's what `~/bin`, `~/lib`, etc. are for.

For sqlite, the process is something like:

```
$ tar xzf the-sqlite3-sources.tar.gz
$ cd the-sqlite3-dir
$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME
$ make
$ make install
```

That will install everything under directories in the "prefix", e.g. the binary will go under `~/bin`.

(3) By Daniel (daniel15) on 2020-05-28 01:52:22 in reply to 2 [link]

> You don't need root access to build and install it under your home directory

Right... What I meant is that I can't install 32-bit glibc (to get the 32-bit builds running) or the 64-bit Debian/CentOS SQLite package.

You're right that I could compile it myself in my home directory, however since the site has 32-bit builds today, I thought it'd be useful to also include 64-bit builds on the site given a large majority of servers are moving towards 64-bit, rather than having to compile it myself.

Thanks,

(4) By anonymous on 2021-11-30 07:55:46 in reply to 3 [link]

Just step on this issue too, VPS I tried to run official binary get failed, and installing on limited resources i386 is out of question, so it would be pretty good if there would be official x64 build.

*Thank in advance*

(5) By ET (EricTsau) on 2021-12-02 04:29:58 in reply to 4 [link]

Don't hold your hopes up because there will never be an official x64 sqlite shell release, not now and not in 50 years time.

There will "only" be a x64 fossil binary release - the scm tool designed specifically to manage sqlite source code

which has a sqlite shell builtin that you can use: `fossil sql --no-repository`. It's as close to official as you will get.

Go get it at <https://fossil-scm.org/home/uv/download.html>

(6) By anonymous on 2021-12-02 07:11:16 in reply to 5 [link]

> Don't hold your hopes up because there will never be an official x64 sqlite shell release

**I didn't "hold my hope"** and created simple `docker` container that compiling static amd64 `sqlite3` binary for Linux, so no need to wait 50 years more. Anyone who wanted/needed it, can download from github [here](https://github.com/CompuRoot/static-sqlite3). I would try to update it periodically on new releases, but I think it would be great for everyone if https://sqlite.org will use my `docker` solution and post compiled amd64 for Linux here, - on official web site.

(7) By ddevienne on 2021-12-02 07:44:38 in reply to 5 [link]

> [...] there will never be an official x64 sqlite shell release [...]

Really? Did I miss a post? Absence of response from Richard does not mean *never*.  
For the life of me, I don't see why a 64-bit shell would not be provided, eventually.

Just yesterday I was surprised to read a 2019 embedded software survey  
pegging 64-bit CPUs at 15% in that market, and most desktop CPUs have  
been 64-bit for years now.

(8) By AlexJ (CompuRoot) on 2021-12-02 08:34:44 in reply to 7 [link]

> Did I miss a post?

Me too, can't understand the reason to provide i386 compiled version only. Most of VPS doesn't have i386 subsystem by default and usually such are limited in space. That's why I created docker that running latest Alpine Linux and compile it statically against musl instead of relaying in libc that are kind of a problem to compile with. So, one can either compile it yourself using my [docker solution](https://github.com/CompuRoot/static-sqlite3) and/or get binary that is 0.8Mb in size and that can run on any Linux based OS without any dependency. I hope it would help someone.