SQLite Forum

Can of worms - Easiest way to build a UI for Sqlite?
Login

Can of worms - Easiest way to build a UI for Sqlite?

(1) By Craig (cforput77) on 2020-06-29 13:03:26 [link] [source]

I'm sure there will be as many different answers as responses but here goes. I got spoiled by MS Access. You create a new file, you build a table then design a form and a report and POOF! You're done. For a multitude of reasons, I don't want to return to MS Access.

I'm want to learn SQLite. I've learned to create my file, I've learned to create my table (a few of them actually). Now I'm stuck, thus my question:

What's the easiest "drag and drop" UI desiger so I can interact with the data? I know, there probably isn't one. But, what's the easiest way? This little "app" is just for me. It's going to run on my laptop (LINUX / Ubuntu / Mint) and not on the web. In fact, I don't want to be connected to the web. Just me on a deserted island with no internet. LOL

I'm not going to have multiple users. Just a "spreadsheet on steroids" that will also help me learn SQLite and whatever UI builder I go with. A few tables, a form for entry and a report to look at the output. The UI builder (IDE???) needs to run on Linux Debian.

I'm sure I've left off some details. And as far as the can of worms? Well if no good answer comes from this, at least I'll have plenty of bait when I'm stranded on the island.

Live long and prosper and thanks

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-06-29 13:06:02 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

What's the easiest "drag and drop" UI desiger so I can interact with the data? I know, there probably isn't one.

There isn't one created or supported by this project, but googling for "sqlite UI" reveals several 3rd-party UIs. The only UI created and supported by this project is the sqlite3 command-line client.

(3) By Craig (cforput77) on 2020-06-29 13:11:32 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I understand and forgive me for intruding. I was thinking that there are plenty of SQLite users that have suggestions for me but if this isn't appropriate for this forum, I completely understand. I've tried googling but it hasn't answered my question. There's just too much "stuff" on the internet. I'm hoping to hear from some actual users and not just bloggers or sites pushing their IDE.

Thanks

(4) By David Raymond (dvdraymond) on 2020-06-29 13:34:37 in reply to 3 [source]

A generic question like this should be fine for here.

One you pick a specific third party thing to use though, if there are problems with the third party bit, then you want to go to their forums for help to start with since, well, that's where the people who made or maintain it are probably watching, along with people who use that tool regularly.

(5) By skywalk on 2020-06-29 14:26:15 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

I use DB Browser for SQLite(https://nightlies.sqlitebrowser.org/latest/) for prototyping and querying.
If you also want a visual guide for prototyping with ER diagrams, there is DBeaver, (https://dbeaver.io/download/).
Both are open source.

(6) By Donald Griggs (dfgriggs) on 2020-06-29 14:53:29 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

One possibility that allows forms and reports may be LibreOffice "Base" using the ODBC drivers of Christian Werner.

The instructions at the page below look promising:

https://thejeshgn.com/2018/08/23/using-sqlite-with-libreoffice-base-on-linux/

(7) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-06-29 14:59:31 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Some people have used SQLite with the "Base" application that is part of LibreOffice. I believe it was inspired by the popularity of Microsoft's Access application as it provides comparable [a] features. You may find that the Base UI building feature is adequate to your task.

[a. I use the term "comparable" loosely, not to imply "equal". ]

I can only guess because you have said very little about your needs, programming skill, preferred platform(s) if any, or desire to learn. I suspect that is more behind search suggestions than any notion that your post is off-topic.

(8) By J-L Hainaut (JLHainaut) on 2020-06-29 21:07:03 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

You could give SQLfast a try. Developed for Windows but, as some posters of this forum told me, it works fine under Linux/Wine:

https://projects.info.unamur.be/~dbm/mediawiki/index.php?title=DUNOD2015_SQLfast