SQLite Forum

Can Richard do some YouTube videos explaining transaction implementation?
Login
> a video or two would be awesome.

Certainly it would. That's not in question. What I think people are trying to show you is that drh is already terribly busy, and you're now wanting him to put in something like 4-8 hours for a single video, simply so you can avoid studying the source code he's already generously provided.

I mean, think about that for a second: do you realize how lucky you are to live in a time when you can simply *expect* that a product like SQLite is FOSS? When I was getting started, a sales guy hawking the closest alternative to SQLite quoted me US $30000 per developer seat in decades-ago dollars, *plus royalties* on the distributed copies!

In my analysis of the effort needed to produce high quality technical videos above, I left out the cost of producing visual aids. My 3-5x number is for videos where the visuals are "free," things like screencasts and talking-head presentations. As soon as you add infographics and 3D animations and such, the costs balloon tremendously. Budget something on the order of 10000 times real-time: a visual that stays on screen 3 seconds will likely cost 30000 seconds to produce, or about 3.5 hours.

Want two visuals? 7 hours. It adds up.

One of the best ways to learn how something works is to try to teach it to someone else, so consider this: learn enough about how SQLite transactions work that you can put something on YouTube. When the comments roll in, dig back into the code to address all of the objections, then put out a second video. Ten videos in, I'll bet you understand SQLite transactions better than 99.9% of the people on this forum.