SQLite Forum

Forum: Some annoyances...
Login
> > Is there a feature to get access via a newsreader?
> 
> Not yet, but unlike SQLite proper, [the Fossil project accepts outside code contributions](https://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/contribute.wiki).

I wrote a public domain NNTP server software in C called sqlnetnews, which uses SQLite as its database storage engine. You could use some of its code if you wanted, although probably not as is, both because the schema is different and because sqlnetnews does not implement the `AUTHINFO` command (if NNTP support is implemented, I am then more likely to register an account just to use it with NNTP, in case you decide to disallow anonymous posting over NNTP). Additionally, when articles are received using NNTP, the headers will need to be saved; it will also need to generate headers (although not necessarily store them in the database) for messages posted using the web interface. (You are free to ask about sqlnetnews, either on my own NNTP server or on news.software.nntp, if you need to ask questions about it.)

Note that the standard MIME type for Markdown seems to be `text/markdown` and not `text/x-markdown`, so when an article is accessed using NNTP, it should add the header `Content-type: text/markdown` if the message uses Markdown formatting (or omit the `Content-type` header in the case of plain text). (A client that doesn't understand Markdown can just display the same message as plain text, which is still perfectly readable; this is one of the advantages of using Markdown instead of HTML.)

As a bonus, part of the stuff needed to implement this may also result in the message IDs for email messages to work correctly (if it doesn't already do so; I don't know).

> > ...if the following keywords show up in a post.
>
> Ah, now you're asking for features you don't get in NNTP or SMTP, so it's orthogonal to the "not a forum fan" line of argument.

This is not quite correct. While that feature is not part of SMTP or NNTP (nor HTTP), nevertheless it can easily be done. In the case of SMTP, the receiving SMTP server can implement this feature; the sender need not know anything about it. In the case of NNTP, a similar thing is also possible, although if you are receiving from the server instead, still it is possible by use of a local search function on the client. Either way, unlike with HTTP, it is not necessary for the sending server to know anything about that feature.