SQLite Forum

current_date, etc are functions?
Login

current_date, etc are functions?

(1) By Tom B (tb13) on 2020-06-12 18:43:22 [link]

Hi All,

Can someone explain why current_date, current_time, and current_timestamp show up in the list of available functions, even though they do not have function syntax?  CLI output below.

SQLite version 3.30.0 2019-10-04 15:03:17
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
Connected to a transient in-memory database.
Use ".open FILENAME" to reopen on a persistent database.
sqlite> select name from pragma_function_list where name like 'current%';
current_timestamp
current_date
current_time
sqlite> select current_date();
Error: near "(": syntax error
sqlite> select current_date;
2020-06-12

Thanks
Tom

(2) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-06-12 19:04:30 in reply to 1

What you show, and I confirm for v3.32.2, is a clear departure from the [documented expression syntax](https://sqlite.org/lang_expr.html) using a \<function_name\> token.  I cannot explain why.

(3) By Keith Medcalf (kmedcalf) on 2020-06-12 20:59:38 in reply to 1 [link]

Yes, current_date, current_time, and current_timestamp are functions that take no arguments.  They are also *special tokens* in the SQL standard in that they are "magical constants" representing the current date, time, and datetime respectively.

(4) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-06-12 21:17:55 in reply to 3 [link]

Ah, yes!  They show up in that [syntax diagram](https://sqlite.org/lang_expr.html) in the button-activated expansion for token **literal\_value**.

(5) By Tom B (tb13) on 2020-06-13 00:45:05 in reply to 4 [link]

Ok I guess.  Yet the sqlite_version() function also takes no arguments but the parentheses are required.  Regardless it's no biggie.

SQLite version 3.31.1 2020-01-27 19:55:54
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
Connected to a transient in-memory database.
Use ".open FILENAME" to reopen on a persistent database.
sqlite> select current_date;
2020-06-13
sqlite> select current_date();
sqlite> select sqlite_version;
Error: no such column: sqlite_version
sqlite> select sqlite_version();
sqlite> 

Thanks guys
Tom

(6) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-06-13 02:16:18 in reply to 5 [link]

As Keith said, those 3 current\_* tokens are special. The scanner (lexical analyzer) recognizes them along with all the keywords (very efficiently by using a specialized hash table) and finally reduces them to a value, TK\_CTIME\_KW, which is all the parser directly sees. They become distinguished when the original (maybe case-folded) text is looked up in the same "table" that pragma\_function\_list shows. The grammar (in parse.y) requires that there be no parenthesis, just as Keith says the SQL standard specifies and the syntax diagram I linked documents. 

Because of this special processing for just those functions, there is no reason to be surprised that sqlite\_version() needs its parentheses.

I think it was a mistake for the SQL standard to require this. Those 3 tokens act like literals in the language, but they are not constants like all other literals; they have more complex behavior such as we associate with functions. It might be considered syntactical sugar, but I think it's mainly an anomalous source of confusion such as you (and I) experienced.

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-06-13 02:30:16 in reply to 6 [link]

> I think it was a mistake for the SQL standard to require this. Those 3 tokens act like literals in the language, but they are not constants like all other literals;

There is actually a reason for it: those constants can be used as default values in column definitions, whereas normal function calls cannot:

```sql
sqlite> create table t1(a, b default current_date);
sqlite> create table t2(a, b default strftime('%Y','now'));
sqlite> select strftime('%Y','now');
sqlite> insert into t1(a) values(1); select * from t1;
1|2020-06-13
```

Why *those* specific constants are singled out probably boils down to historical behaviour on ancient platforms.

(8) By Kees Nuyt (knu) on 2020-06-13 13:31:57 in reply to 7 [link]

In SQLite, you can use functions in default values, but you have to surround them with parenthesis :
```sql
sqlite> create table t1(a, b default current_date);
sqlite> create table t2(a, b default strftime('%Y','now'));
sqlite> create table t2(a, b default (strftime('%Y','now')));
sqlite> insert into t2(a) values(1); select * from t2;
1|2020
```

~~~
-- 
Regards,
Kees Nuyt
~~~

(9) By Tom B (tb13) on 2020-06-13 16:45:10 in reply to 6 [link]

Interesting.  Seems like a better name for those entities would be "global variables" as opposed to "functions". I'm all for backwards compatibility so if they are considered functions in the 40+ years of SQL nomenclature then ok.

Thank you
Tom

(10.1) By Keith Medcalf (kmedcalf) on 2020-06-13 21:35:02 edited from 10.0 in reply to 9 [link]

LIKE, REGEXP, and GLOB are also functions and "language elements".

That is, `select * from somewhere where a like 'twat%' escape '\';` is equivalent to `select * from somewhere where like('twat%', a, '\');`.  The same also applies to the GLOB and REGEXP keywords, which are also functions.

While `current_time`, `current_date`, and `current_timestamp` are "language elements", the use of those names as functions is not implemented.