SQLite Forum

How to corrupt - windows
Login
How well that works depends on the definition of "periodic" and what the underlying storage device is, and the size of each "periodic" transaction.

So if you are attempting to log a data collection ofa few thousand tags (assuming engineering values here) scanned every second and *each* tag write is a separate transaction and the underlying storage is spinning rust, you are likely to be very unhappy.  (The absolute best transaction rate you can expect on spinning rust is about 1 transaction per approximately 60 revolutions of the spinning rust, assuming no other device traffic and transaction sizes of less than a cluster).

If however you are batching the those tag writes into one transaction per second it is likely that spinning rust can keep up (unless you use a very badly designed database schema) with loads of I/O capacity to spare.  I/O rate will be your limiting factor.

Any hardware that you did not buy at BestBuy/Walmart (or equivalent) is likely going to be fine for the task.  (That is, do not expect to run something that needs to be reliable on a $200 bargain-basement sale computer -- such machines are optimized for price by using the least cost (and least reliable) parts from the lowest cost supplier).

Also be aware that ACID data requirements can be brutal on cheap USB/flash/ssd storage that is not designed for the task.

I've written software (in Python no less) that scans out a couple hundred engineering values per second from a Matrikon OPC server (and from Experion) and uses SQLite3 for logging without much difficulty using standard PC hardware (as in ~$1000 reasonable quality hardware).  Generally the difficulty is on the data collection side, not on the logging side.