SQLite Forum

sqlite3 CLI .expert mode returns “Error: not an error”, if suggested index name is created, but does not match suggestion
Login
> > The output should be "(no new indexes)" instead of that cryptic error, right?

> Not necessarily. Only if the modified index actually results in a presumably optimal plan.

Now I feel confused. I thought that was precisely the case with your usage where you got a strange rather than useful or expected response.

At this <u>[example session](https://sqlite.org/cli.html#expert)</u>, when the index exists that .expert mode would suggest were it missing, it is **supposed** to say "(no new indexes)". And if I understand your repro steps, it produces that strange-but-humorous error instead.

If you disagree, please show the sequence of SQLite shell commands that induces the error. (I thought you already had. I'm not trying to be difficult here; maybe it's time for more coffee.)

(Append via edit to resolve confusion:)

Ok, now I see that the index you added is subtly different from the one proposed. I guess I need to read more carefully. Now I agree that this is a bug, not cured by simply improving an error message.