SQLite Forum

Numeric vs integer
Login
> Question 2: Am I correct to assume that a value defined as integer will be more efficient in artihmetic functions (eg, sum(..)) than having the integer value stored in a Numeric field? Although I would expect it to be very marginal...

An integral value that fits in a 64-bit two's-complement integer field is stored as an VARINT (1 to 8 byte integer) when stored.

A floating point value (that has a non-zero fractional part) is stored as a 8-byte IEEE-754 float.

An INTEGER affinity means that the value will be stored as an INTEGER, if it can.  
A REAL affinity means that the value will be stored as a IEEE-754 float, if it can.  
A NUMERIC affinity means that stuff that looks like a number will be stored as an INTEGER if possible, but if the number has a fractional part or is larger than will fit in an INTEGER then as REAL.

> Question 2: Am I correct to assume that a value defined as integer will be more efficient in artihmetic functions (eg, sum(..)) than having the integer value stored in a Numeric field? Although I would expect it to be very marginal...

No.   

An INTEGER is an INTEGER, a FLOAT is a FLOAT, a NUMERIC is whichever is appropriate in the circumstance.

> I find however that I frequently seem to need to cast these columns as integer in order for maths to work correctly.

This I do not understand.  

There is no difference between a NUMERIC value which is an integer and an INTEGER value which is an INTEGER -- they are both INTEGER and behave exactly the same.