SQLite Forum

install sqlite on windows10
Login

install sqlite on windows10

(1) By anonymous on 2021-08-30 11:30:30 [link] [source]

Dear Members, I am new to sqlite., Please guide me how to install sqlite on windows10..

(2) By Donald Griggs (dfgriggs) on 2021-08-30 12:55:55 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Welcome to sqlite, Anonymous,

Sqlite itself (as perhaps you know) is not a user-facing program such as MS Access. It's a library for programmers to link into their programs.

That being said, a command-line interface program, named sqlite3.exe, is provided which is rather powerful.

One of the most-loved aspects of sqlite is its simplicity. There's no installation process per se. To get started with the command-line interface (CLI) go to the download page: https://www.sqlite.org/download.html and look for the Windows pre-compiled binaries. Download the "bundle of command-line tools" zip file. Extract (at least) the sqlite3.exe file into a directory on your machine -- either one within your PATH or directly into the folder where you wish to run it. Sqlite is so compact that its database logic is compiled directly into the sqlite3.exe file, and you're ready to start using it at the command line.

If you google "sqlite gui" you'll find that lots of folks (not part of this project) have written graphical Windows programs to work with sqlite, and you may decide to use one or more of these instead of the CLI. Some of these programs may expect you to download sqlite in the form of a "DLL" file -- just as you would if you want to write a program yourself. You'll find these DLL files on the download page as well. Programmers can also decide to compile sqlite themselves, either into their own programs or into customized DLL files.

Maybe this helps, Donald

(3) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-08-30 13:04:15 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

There is no "install" in the usual sense of the word.

As stated on the home page, SQLite is a library used by applications, many of which might be "installed", to provide DBMS features.

At the download page, you can obtain a pre-built, simple application known as the SQLite command line shell for your platform.

To run that shell conveniently from a command-line-interactive shell such as CMD.EXE or PowerShell, you will want to arrange that the sqlite3.exe which you built or downloaded can be found among the directories named by the environment variable known as PATH.

(4) By J.M. Aranda (JMAranda) on 2021-08-30 18:08:14 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

It's very simple. First you have to run the classic configure script. This script leaves everything adapted to your PC. Then just type make, make install. In Windows 10 it can be installed in native, on MSYS2-MINGW or on CYGWIN. In the first 2 you get EXE windows. And the last one is POSIX. You don't need to install a Linux at all. And on this same website you will find EVERYTHING you need.

(5) By MBL (RoboManni) on 2021-09-02 09:52:33 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I am still a fan of the good (very) old Sqlite3Explorer from Singular in version 3.04 . It might be difficult to find it nowadays in the internet as it is really old, it's from about year 2009 (version 3.01 from about 2006).

Beside the single exe file it uses just the one sqlite3.dll, which can be downloaded from www.sqlite.org homepage. A report generator could be loaded in addition but I did not require it and have used it only seldom.

Even when it is very old it has almost all I need from such a tool every day and I did not find a better one for me yet.

This GUI has run with all versions that I can think of since used SQLite3 version 3.5.9 ; and this GUI still does the good job of keeping the compatibility also with my latest version 3.36.0 .

(6) By J.M. Aranda (JMAranda) on 2021-09-02 11:05:57 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

"The secret to walkin´ on water is knowing where the rocks are." And SQL is a rock.

(7) By MBL (RoboManni) on 2021-09-02 12:56:19 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

.. or to do it in winter times at very low temperature ... then water is also known as ice

(8.1) By little-brother on 2021-09-02 17:13:01 edited from 8.0 in reply to 5 [source]

Sqlite3Explorer from Singular in version 3.04

Could you provide a download link? I'm developing a similar tools and to do it better I explore another applications.

(9) By MBL (RoboManni) on 2021-10-03 16:01:39 in reply to 8.1 [link] [source]

The homepage of Singular.gr is not active anymore and it was not easy to find something but here is at least one linke to an older version , which works. sqlite3Explorer.zip I am not sure which version it is abut for sure not 3.04, which I am using. It is much older, from year 2004.

(10) By little-brother on 2021-10-03 17:16:26 in reply to 9 [link] [source]

Thanks. I didn't find any version.

(11.1) By tom (younique) on 2022-01-10 10:35:49 edited from 11.0 in reply to 9 [link] [source]

Try this one. It's obviously the latest one before development ceased.

(12) By AlexJ (CompuRoot) on 2022-01-10 15:52:32 in reply to 11.1 [link] [source]

It is very buggy and only works with 32bits dll.

If you on Windows and want feature reach and supported frontend for SQLite (as well MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL) then HeidiSQL should work much better

(13) By skywalk on 2022-01-10 15:58:45 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Or be an insect.

(14) By skywalk on 2022-01-10 16:38:46 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

(15) By MBL (UserMBL) on 2022-01-11 08:51:51 in reply to 11.1 [link] [source]

Hello Tom, thank you to help finding that version of exe.

I confirm that this file is identical with my own copy.

Another file mkFrxEngine.dll, when provided, enables the executable to use the Report Generator from sub-menu item New Report or Open Report.

I just realized that I never tried yet the sub-menu item Import Using Regular Expression 8-(

What I like especially and did not find in another tool, is the capability to drag and drop a column to create a grouped view very simply and without having to run another sql statement. Each group header line supports folding in the view. - What I dislike is that every cell is treated as text, which disturbs re-sorting by clicking on a column header; it will not sort numerical.

Another extra is the use of text snippets. And if one snippet has the special name autoexec then this one gets executed the next time(s) when the sqlite3Explorer.exe is starting. (Save Options to current database before exiting to make sure your last changes get stored into the database and will persist.)

D:\UTL>fossil.exe md5sum sqlite3Explorer.exe mkFrxEngine.dll sqlite3.dll
8b7c7e238d5ba258ab051d988f7ac846  sqlite3Explorer.exe
728900e806a28ee0c79587fe392bf986  mkFrxEngine.dll
cda3a46df2d3e1f0aa18a630eaed65ef  sqlite3.dll

(16) By anonymous on 2022-01-11 11:36:51 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Try installing SQLite Browser here are the steps

(17) By anonymous on 2022-01-11 15:31:57 in reply to 8.1 [link] [source]

Also see SQLite Studio:

https://sqlitestudio.pl/

(18) By Donald Griggs (dfgriggs) on 2022-01-11 16:34:11 in reply to 15 [link] [source]

I've always liked sqlite3explorer.

Regarding: "What I dislike is that every cell is treated as text, which disturbs re-sorting by clicking on a column header; it will not sort numerical."

Numerical sorting works for me. I'm using the same version of sqlite3explorer and sqlite3.dll. Does it fail for you using this simple example (in a fresh database)?

create table t(myNum INTEGER, myTxt TEXT, myReal REAL); insert into t values (10, '10', 10.0); insert into t values (2, '2', 2.);

If I display the contents of table "t", then click on the myNum or myReal columns, it sorts numerically. Clicking on the myTxt column sorts lexically.

If this doesn't work for you, you might check to see if you've changed some of the "Options / Format Settings" described on the man page at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150424004100/http://www.singular.gr/sqlite/

under the "Use of datatypes" section.

(19) By MBL (UserMBL) on 2022-01-11 18:00:20 in reply to 18 [link] [source]

thank you very much also for that link to the archived website.

Yes, it works this way ... I must have had a table with no types, just column names. In this case my inputs were taken as text and not numbers even when I did not put the numbers in single-quotes; then I get the same look and feel again that I described before. It is not the tool, it was me.