SQLite Forum

Forum suggestion
Login

Forum suggestion

(1) By tom (younique) on 2020-05-12 19:10:56 [link] [source]

May I suggest to delay sending e-mail notifications for about 5 minutes after a post is created.

Reason: It happens very often that someone posts, discovers a typo and edits his post immediately. Having both the "forum posts" and "forum edits" notifications enabled, one gets often two or three mails which differ in typos only.

(2) By jose isaias cabrera (jicman) on 2020-05-12 19:20:50 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

From my side, I want to see them right away. But, I can adjust and be patient. ;-)

(3) By Richard Damon (RichardDamon) on 2020-05-12 19:45:55 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

That actually might be someone expensive to implement. To send an immediate notification is fairly simple to generate, after processing the page with the request, send the notice, and all is done. The forum software is already active at that point, so not much work. To send on a 5-minute delay, then the software needs to start up periodically, (like once every 1-5 minutes depending on how tight you want the 5-minute delay to be) and then check to see if there is a pending request for a notice that is now old enough to do and then send it or wait a bit more. So you need to add the whole new procedure, and it needs to run fairly often.

(5) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-05-12 21:05:55 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

So you need to add the whole new procedure

That already exists, and it already delays email alerts by an average of 30 seconds. With some simple settings changes, we could delay email alerts arbitrarily. With a small adjustment to the backing SQL, we could delay it for an arbitrary amount after the last edit rather than after the initial post, up to some sanity limit. None of that is difficult or expensive.

However, as I have pointed out in another post, this is not a matter of how or whether to do this, but of changing drh's mind, who has already made his opinion on the matter public, and the place for that is elsewhere.

(4) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-05-12 20:57:40 in reply to 1 [source]

Already adjudicated.

(Note also that it happened on the Fossil forum, its proper place. This forum is for SQLite proper, not for discussion of its forum software.)

(6) By ddevienne on 2020-05-13 06:56:26 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

This forum is for SQLite proper, not for discussion of its forum software

I've seen this come up several times now. But how would people know?
There's no mention of it anywhere that I know of, and certainly not
on this Forum's landing page, or a FAQ, or anything like that.

This is missing IMHO, some guidelines (I dare not write rules...) about this forum.

(7) By luuk on 2020-05-13 06:59:16 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

see: https://sqlite.org/forum

(8) By ddevienne on 2020-05-13 09:52:18 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

Interesting, thanks. And from where did you get there? There's no link
in the task bar that seems to be going to that About page, that I can find.

I meant a small blurb on the Threads page or the Post page, with a link to
that new-to-me About page, and a bit of text.

(9) By ddevienne on 2020-05-13 09:55:35 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

And BTW, that About page says nothing about posting to the Fossil forum
instead of the SQLite one, to discuss the forum itself. Unless I missed it.

It has a good list of what the SQLite forum is for. Not what it's NOT good for,
nor alternatives for those, if any. (Fossil forum, WACI consulting, etc...)

(10) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-05-13 15:04:29 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

But how would people know?

Because drh said so.

(11) By ddevienne on 2020-05-13 15:25:22 in reply to 10 [link] [source]

Ah ah, very funny Warren. Oh well...
Keep that link handy, you'll need it often.

(12) By anonymous on 2020-05-13 21:57:37 in reply to 11 [link] [source]

Do you post feature requests to forums using phpBB, Discourse, Invision, etc, or the manufacturer's forums? :)

• Donald Shepherd

(13) By Ryan Smith (cuz) on 2020-05-14 00:28:23 in reply to 12 [link] [source]

I take your point Donald (and other posters above), but I think what Dominique (and myself) gets a bit miffed at (if I may be so bold as to speak on behalf) is that this list was moved from a mailing-list to a forum, in which nobody had a say much, and while we understand it's a needed change, and an ordained one, there is now also a moratorium.

Previously if there was something amiss in the mailing-list, it was discussed ON the mailing-list.

Now we're forced to go seek advice/help/suggestions on another list which I don't subscribe to, to discuss taboo things that used to be perfectly in the scope of this list's discussions.

It's such a wild departure from the other override of allowing fully anon posting. Like saying: "You can be more anonymous now, but no longer allowed to discuss things you used to discuss on this forum."

And yeah, I get it and have to abide by it, and my love for SQLite will take this in stride - but kindly keep in mind when the smirky remarks are made, this is not so silly as it is made out to be.

(14) By tom (younique) on 2020-05-14 07:20:21 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

> This forum is for SQLite proper, not for discussion of its forum software.

Please apologize, I missed that.