SQLite Forum

will the posts from the mailing list be migrated to here?
Login

will the posts from the mailing list be migrated to here?

(1.1) By punkish on 2020-03-12 22:01:11 edited from 1.0 [link] [source]

specifically wrt to the posts that are still being discussed or are not fully resolved, will they be migrated to here or shall we repost them here?

punkish.org
just another creative commoner

(2) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2020-03-12 21:53:12 in reply to 1.0 [link] [source]

I would prefer that they migrate. In the two-years of practice we have had using this forum software on Fossil, I have found it much easier to use than a traditional mailing list.

I'm not going prevent others from using the mailing list, at least not right away. But, if you want me to respond, your best bet it to post on the forum, not on the mailing list.

(4) By punkish on 2020-03-12 22:00:41 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

With my question, I meant to ask: will the old posts be migrated here automatically (in other words, by you or someone who manages the list) or should we repost them ourselves here. From your answer, I take that there will be no automatic migration so if we want to continue an already happening conversation, we might be better of reposting the question here. No worries.

p.

(8) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-03-13 00:54:48 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

will the old posts be migrated here automatically

We didn't migrate the old Fossil mailing list archives to the Fossil project Forum so I wouldn't expect the SQLite mailing list archives to be migrated, either.

(5) By Ned Fleming (Ned) on 2020-03-12 22:49:36 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I don't want a response, but I do want to test how to reply to a post.

I have no great experience with markdown. I think underscores do something, and asterisks do something and /slashes/ do something. Or not.

Here's a joke:

Knock knock. Who's there? Little old lady. Little old lady who? I didn't know you could yodel.

(6) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-03-12 23:11:24 in reply to 5 [source]

The link to the left of the markup style drop-down on the forum posting page takes you to this page, on which are the rules for Fossil's two markup languages: flavors of standard Markdown and Wiki syntaxes.

(7) By Chris (crustyoz) on 2020-03-12 23:25:41 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Using markdown, here is what would match your plaintext email version:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Little old lady.
Little old lady who?
I didn't know you could yodel.

The five lines have been indented by 4 spaces. This caused markdown to treat it as code.

Or, prefixed and followed by lines with 3 backticks:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Little old lady.
Little old lady who?

(11) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-03-13 13:19:09 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

You can also follow a line with two or more spaces in Markdown input to force a hard line wrap in the HTML output:

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Little old lady.
Little old lady who?

This may be preferable in cases where you don't want the fixed-width font in the HTML presentation.

(3) By jose isaias cabrera (jicman) on 2020-03-12 21:54:11 in reply to 1.0 [link] [source]

specifically wrt to the posts that are still being discussed or are not fully resolved, will they be migrated to here or shall we repost them here?

I was going to ask the same question. So, Dr. Hipp?

(9) By Ned Fleming (Ned) on 2020-03-13 05:27:36 in reply to 1.1 [link] [source]

OK, I'm going to belabor this with one additional post. This one.

The first message I sent was with "markdown" as the markup style.

This message is being sent with "plain text" as the markup style.

Being thick, and content with plain ASCII, I now post *this* and _this_ and /this/ to see how it will appear in the forum and also in my email client, Thunderbird.

Here's another joke:
Why is 6 afraid of 7?
Because 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Feel free to share this joke will all your eight-year-old friends.

Are newlines newlines in plain text?

(10) By Chris (crustyoz) on 2020-03-13 12:05:01 in reply to 9 [link] [source]

The underlying thesis of markdown is that it looks acceptable in plain text. As shown below, your text quoted here is now in markdown format. Your use of asterisk and underscore both transform to italic text. If you want bold text then use double asterisk or double underline, as here and here. The forward slash is not a recognised formatting character in markdown.

Due to the markdown assumption that without annotation, adjacent lines can be merged into one paragraph, your joke is becomes a series of in-line sentences without poetic formatting.

Two adjacent newlines separate paragraphs by presenting a blank line between paragraphs. Not sure what you mean by "Are newlines newlines in plain text" since a newline, chr(10), is valid plain text. If you are on MS-Windows then the carriage return, chr(13), will be ignored in the translation to HTML.

The linked text "Markup style" above the compose/reply textarea provides a summary of Fossil's two markup definitions.

Your previous post is copied verbatim below:

OK, I'm going to belabor this with one additional post. This one.

The first message I sent was with "markdown" as the markup style.

This message is being sent with "plain text" as the markup style.

Being thick, and content with plain ASCII, I now post this and this and /this/ to see how it will appear in the forum and also in my email client, Thunderbird.

Here's another joke: Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7, 8, 9, and 10. Feel free to share this joke will all your eight-year-old friends.

Are newlines newlines in plain text?