SQLite Forum

SQLite encryption with SEE
Login

SQLite encryption with SEE

(1) By anonymous on 2020-09-17 15:31:59 [link] [source]

With the 1.0.113 System.Data.SQLite encryption support has been dropped. Luckily we didn't ship our databases with that encryption enabled (yet), thus we require an alternative. While reading into this topic, SQLite does offer an encryption extension (SEE) by its cost of 2k$.

Is there a NuGet or any other resource where I can get my hands on? Best case would be to simply add a NuGet and call some extension function (like in the previous "unofficial" encryption version). Or do we really have to compile the whole SRC by ourselfs and write a .NET wrapper?

Since we are talking about a 2k$ investment, we do expect as smooth and flawless transition without any additional overhead.

(2) By Nathan Evans (nbevans) on 2020-10-17 07:58:02 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Use SQLCipher. There is an OSS variant.

(3) By Aloys (aloys) on 2020-10-17 19:00:18 in reply to 2 [source]

In fact, SQLCipher suffers from the same problem as System.Data.SQLite 1.0.113: the (unofficial) SQLite encryption API has been removed from the publicly available SQLite source code. And hence, SQLCipher supports only an older SQLite version, that is, not the latest one. I heard that work is in progress to adapt SQLCipher for newer SQLite versions, but that the adapted version will be available only to paying customers.

AFAIK the .Net version of SQLCipher is also only available as a commercial product at a price of 499 $/developer. However, one could probably build the .Net package with SQLCipher support on ones own.