SQLite Forum

Data loss after iOS device force restarts
Login

Data loss after iOS device force restarts

(1) By Shameem Ahamad (sqlShameem) on 2022-01-05 11:04:37 [link] [source]

I am facing an issue with my SQLite Database . If I force restart the iOS device while its inserting rows into table, after device boots up the its not recovering all the data that has been inserted before force restart.

When I was inserting rows into table in a transaction, SQlite creates a journal file. After every insert I was printing last row id but when I did a force restart and when iPhone reboots, it shows last rowid as less then what I have seen before force restart.

Thanks in advance

Test environment details

Test Device - iPhone6S Test Device OS - iOS 12.3 SQLite Version - "3.37.0" SQLITE Configuration - Jornal Mode - Delete Locking Mode - Normal Synchronous - Full Page Size - 4096

(2) By anonymous on 2022-01-05 12:43:41 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Are you doing every insert in separate transactions or all the inserts in a single transaction?
When you restart the device before a transaction is commited then the whole transaction is rolled back during recovery.

(6) By Shameem Ahamad (sqlShameem) on 2022-01-06 04:57:01 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Yes every insert we are processing in different transaction. And I can see committed transactions are also getting lost after force restart.

(3) By Richard Damon (RichardDamon) on 2022-01-05 13:03:45 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The data that is being inserted isn't actually considered to be IN the database until you successfully commit it. If you abort the program in the middle of a transaction, that transaction will get rolled back when you next connect to that database.

Does that explain what is happening?

(4) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2022-01-05 17:24:14 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

In addition to the other posts asking whether you're using a transaction …

Which language are you programming in ? Which SQLite library are you using (or are you using the C API directly) ? Does your application respond to the 'quit' notification by closing your SQLite connection, or does it just quit ?

When you say "forced restart" are you talking about telling the iPhone to turn off, or are you using the iPhone interface to force-quit just your application ? Are you trying to simulate what would happen if the iPhone lost power, or are you testing for some other condition ?

(5) By Shameem Ahamad (sqlShameem) on 2022-01-06 04:54:33 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Thanks for reply! I am using objective C programming language. I am using FMDB wrapper written over SQLITE C API. FMDB using sqlite-amalgamation-3370000 version.

Force restart - I use power button and home button to force restart the iPhone.

In case of power off it works fine. I am facing only when I do force restart.

Thanks

(7) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2022-01-06 09:41:02 in reply to 5 [source]

Thanks for your reply which may help people explain what's happening.

The use of power+home buttons is equivalent to the iPhone's OS crashing (which almost never happens) or your program crashing (which almost never happens because you're a good programmer). Under these circumstances your program will just stop running, leaving journal files intact if they have been synced to storage. It is the hardest condition for SQLite to recover from, but SQLite is designed to cope with it. Once the database is opened again, data should be recovered to a state after the last committed transaction. If you are losing data from a committed transaction something may be going wrong, so please pursue this thread with details.

In contrast, an iPhone is designed to notify programs of low battery in plenty of time for them to save uncommitted data and close database connections gracefully. This should not cause you a problem.

(8.1) By Shameem Ahamad (sqlShameem) on 2022-01-06 11:38:19 edited from 8.0 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

The code block that I am using to reproduce the data loss scenario

sqlite3 *database = nil; sqlite3_stmt *statement = nil;

if (sqlite3_open(dbpath, &database) == SQLITE_OK) {

if(sqlite3_exec(database, "BEGIN EXCLUSIVE TRANSACTION", 0, 0, 0) != SQLITE_OK) { }

NSString *insertSQL = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"insert into studentsDetail (name) values (\"%@\")", studentName];

const char *insert_stmt = [insertSQL UTF8String];

sqlite3_prepare_v2(database, insert_stmt,-1, &statement, NULL);

if (sqlite3_step(statement) == SQLITE_DONE) { }

sqlite3_reset(statement);

sqlite3_finalize(statement);

sqlite3_close(database)

}

The above code I am running in a while loop with a sleep(0.5) And while its inserting, I am force restarting the iPhone.

After reboot sometime I see that committed transactions are also getting lost and sometime database getting corrupted Error msg

(11) database corruption at line 67776 of [378629bf2e]

(11) statement aborts at 4: [insert into studentsDetail (name) values ("test_name_1")] database disk image is malformed

2022-01-06 15:19:46.485384+0400 RawSqlitePOC[257:5093] SQL error failed to commit transaction: database disk image is malformed

(9) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2022-01-06 16:53:37 in reply to 8.1 [link] [source]

You don't also need both sqlite3_finalize() and sqlite3_reset(). But I suppose that might be an artefact of writing test code rather than a real program.

You have a BEGIN in there but no END or COMMIT. This means you're explicitly starting a transaction but not explicitly ending it. If your code executes BEGIN each time around the loop it should also have an END each time around the loop. Presumably between sqlite3_finalize() and sqlite3_close(). This is the transaction problem other people asked you about. Here is the equivalent of what you're doing:

simon@183 Desktop % sqlite3 test.db
SQLite version 3.36.0 2021-06-18 18:58:49
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> BEGIN;
sqlite> BEGIN;
Error: cannot start a transaction within a transaction
sqlite> END;
sqlite> END;
Error: cannot commit - no transaction is active
sqlite> CREATE TABLE t (a INT);
sqlite> BEGIN;
sqlite> INSERT INTO t VALUES (77);
sqlite> SELECT * FROM t;
sqlite> .quit
sqlite> .tables
t
sqlite> SELECT * FROM t;
sqlite> BEGIN;
sqlite> INSERT INTO t VALUES (88);
sqlite> SELECT * FROM t;
sqlite> END;
sqlite> SELECT * FROM t;
sqlite> .quit
sqlite> .tables
t
sqlite> SELECT * FROM t;
sqlite> .quit
simon@183 Desktop % 

Given the above problem, one thing you should not be seeing is a corrupt database – one which gi. SQLite should be recovering a usable database whether or not your last transactions is in it.

(10) By anonymous on 2022-01-06 20:27:44 in reply to 8.1 [link] [source]

About database corruption: https://sqlite.org/howtocorrupt.html