SQLite Forum

Getting error when pipe sql into sqlite3 utility
Login

Getting error when pipe sql into sqlite3 utility

(1) By anonymous on 2021-04-24 09:59:08 [link] [source]

Hello,

I'm getting the following error on Windows when I pipe a SQL file into the sqlite3.exe prebuilt command line utility and the SQL file contains a UTF-8 BOM (as create by Notepad.exe in Windows).

> SQLITE3.EXE test.db < cleanup.sql
Error: near line 1: near "": syntax error

I believe there was a similar error reported a while ago, but that was from loading the SQL file from inside the utility which is not an option for me.

Currently I place a comment in the beginning of the file to avoid it skipping the first SQL command.

Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

regards bjarke

(2.1) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-04-24 12:29:34 edited from 2.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

''' type cleanup.sql | sqlite3.exe '''

(3) By anonymous on 2021-04-24 13:42:27 in reply to 2.1 [source]

Thanks, but this gives the exact same error.

If you just do "type file.sql" on Windows 10, the UTF-8 BOM remain visible in the output. Then sqlite3.exe will still complain about it.

This problem is sqlite3.exe not filtering the 2 UTF-8 BOM bytes in the beginning of the file.

(4) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-04-24 13:48:19 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Please rebuild using the latest SQLite source code from trunk and let us know if that clears your problem.

(5) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-04-24 14:41:12 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Sorry. I forget that many people still like to use cmd.exe . If you run type top_dog.sql |sqlite3 in Powershell, (or Yori, TCC, or likely any other shell written in the modern era when UTF-8 and BOMs came into common use), you will have better luck.

(6) By anonymous on 2021-04-24 16:04:21 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

After a struggle to build it, I now have a nice sqlite3.exe (with a file-icon) which no longer complains about Syntax Errors.

Thanks for the effort.

regards bjarke