SQLite Forum

Use sqlite for Adobe AfterFX Cache
Login

Use sqlite for Adobe AfterFX Cache

(1) By siavoshkc on 2020-12-10 18:34:36 [link] [source]

Adobe After Effects (AfterFX) is a software to create complex motion graphics and visual special effects on motion pictures. You create layers of video and graphics on a timeline and apply effect and filters on them. Then you need to render the results. Rendering is the process of applying these effects and filters on the image data and storing the result.

Rendering is a intense CPU/Memory consuming process. With moderate amounts of effects and a high performance system it is usual for rendering time to take at least 5 times the duration of the video. To avoid doing this heavy process as much as possible, AfterFX saves the rendered parts of the timeline on the hard disk as cache. So at the end we have many relatively small files in the cache folder.

I was reading about SQLite as application file format and got an idea. I thought it may be more efficient to store these rendered parts in a SQLite table. I thought it fits the requirements. Management of the cache data and accessing them would be more efficient.

But I have not deep enough knowledge about the AfterFX caching mechanism nor SQLite limits.

So I represent the idea here to be more investigated.

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-12-10 18:51:34 in reply to 1 [source]

So I represent the idea here to be more investigated.

You would need to ask Adobe to make such a change. This project has no influence over such app-level design decisions.