SQLite Forum

Legacy functions
Login

Legacy functions

(1) By anonymous on 2020-12-23 23:03:53 [link] [source]

Any chance that the legacy function listed at Functions marked with "(exp)" are experimental and functions whose names are struck through are deprecated. can be shown using a different visual style? This will help to speed up reference.

(2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-12-24 09:33:47 in reply to 1 [source]

Strikethru text is a different visual style. What alternative do you suggest?

(3) By anonymous on 2020-12-24 10:13:23 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I don't think you understood my request.

Style Meaning
(Exp) experimental functions
strike thru deprecated function

My quest was about those functions whose page reads This is a legacy interface that is preserved for backwards compatibility. Use of this interface is not recommended.

For instance the entry or link sqlite3_get_table is indistinguishable from any other here until you navigate to here and only then do you see This is a legacy interface that is preserved for backwards compatibility. Use of this interface is not recommended.

My suggestion was to use a style that marks out those functions whose Use of this interface is not recommended.

(4) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-12-24 10:27:49 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Your example looks like a case where it should have a strikethru.

If not that, then another markup style, which brings me back to my prior question: what style, if not strikethru? Lime green and blinking? Dropped to 10% opacity? Something else?

(5) By Ryan Smith (cuz) on 2020-12-24 11:52:36 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

That was the most unclear question I've read in a while.

Only by your second post did the intent gain clarity. So to make this more clear to onlookers:

The styles used in the "Index" page of the API functions have different visual styles for:

• Experimental (exp), and
  • ~~Deprecated~~ (No longer available) functions.

The suggestion is to add one more such style (without suggesting one) applied to those items that are classified as "Legacy" and only maintained for backward compatibility.

I'll +1 this request and offer that a possible appropriate style would be simply to colour it light-grey and/or append (legacy) or perhaps (leg) in the same vein as (exp) is done currently.

Note to Forum Devs - While not in the original spec, it's common for modern forum Markdown implementations to facilitate "Strikethrough" with leading and closing double tildes, like ~~this~~. Any chance it can be added to this forum's markdown?

(6) By anonymous on 2020-12-24 13:37:03 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

It matters little what the style is for marking legacy functions; the simple objective is simply to mark them such that they can be easily avoided in searches on present functionality.