SQLite Forum

Possible documentation update
Login

Possible documentation update

(1) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2022-01-07 21:40:29 [link] [source]

Section 1.3.10 of fileformat2.html says that new databases are created using format 4 by default, and according to the table in section 2.1 of the same web page, format 4 can store integer values 0 and 1 using no space at all.

Therefore it seems to me that it would be nice if section 2 of datatype3.html were updated to show that an integer can normally be stored in 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 bytes depending on the magnitude of the value, with perhaps a reference or note showing why values 0 and 1 take no space.

(2.1) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-08 21:42:47 edited from 2.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

... Therefore it seems to me that it would be nice ...

It would be a bit more than a nicety; it would be correct. Hence this checkin adopting your view of this.

[Edited to reflect some Fossil futzing.]

(3) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2022-01-08 05:38:05 in reply to 2.0 [link] [source]

All of the "became executable" warnings on the second should be fixed.

This typically happens when working on Windows, where the ancient FAT "archive" bit is used to emulate Unix's executable flag in POSIX contexts.

Fossil warns you of this in status output, saying EXECUTABLE rather than CHANGED.

(4) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-08 20:38:06 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Thanks, Warren, for the clue on this "EXECUTABLE" anomaly. It has perplexed me, and still does. I will raise this issue, along with appropriate remedy, in the Fossil forum since it is better addressed there.

(5) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2022-01-22 17:28:08 in reply to 2.1 [source]

Thanks. When does this actually make it to the website? Looks unaltered to me.

(6) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2022-01-22 18:20:13 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

The website reflects the current release, as a rule, and is published from the branch-#.#... branch. The doc change in question was done on trunk (which becomes a branch-#.#... branch upon the next release.) It probably should have been cherrypicked to the soon-to-be-published branch, which I just did only to find that Richard beat me to it.