SQLite Forum

missing messages in db table
Login

missing messages in db table

(1) By anonymous on 2021-03-09 21:35:02 [link] [source]

Hello everyone,

I have the kik database .db file , and if I open it with Notepad I can see all the messages with the related contact and the Uid code (plus many other symbols).

However, if I open the DB file with DB Browser for SQLite, some messages 'disappear': I have also tried to search for them with the contact filter or the uid filter (from the .db file opeed with notepad) but I could not find them.

Where or how could I read those missing messages in DB Browser?

Thank you

(2) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-03-09 21:52:12 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Your DB might have text in its free pages which is visible in Notepad but which is in the free page(s) because it was "deleted" so that it is not logically part of the DB anymore. Can you add anything to your inquiry that would reveal the recent history of your DB, whether you are trying to recover from an inadvertent delete for example?

If the content was subject to DB DELETE statements, a DB tool (such as "DB Browser) is not quite the right choice. You would then need a binary editor, or a binary dump tool.

(3) By anonymous on 2021-03-09 22:22:10 in reply to 2 [source]

I think those messages were deleted in the kik App on my phone BEFORE extracting the kik database from my phone, so there are some remnants of those messages in the database created.

Could you suggest me some good free Tool to read as much as possible of those remnants? (I tried trial version of SQLite Forensic Explorer and it seems to be able to read half of the disappeared messages, including the timestamp. I was wondering if there is a better free Tool for my purpose).

Thank you :)

(4) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-03-09 22:33:52 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Do a web search for "hex dump" and "binary dump", with and without "tool" or "utility" added. A tool from Unix, called "od" (for octal dump) would do nicely and has been ported to Windows many times. If such tools do not turn up your deleted message content, it is not there.

(5) By anonymous on 2021-03-09 22:48:43 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Thank you very much! :)