SQLite Forum

Explicitly specifying the function calling convention in the public functions
Login

Explicitly specifying the function calling convention in the public functions

(1) By std_haxxer on 2020-04-08 05:41:44 [link] [source]

Would it be possible to allow explicit specification of the function calling convention in the header file?

The precompiled binaries available on the website seem to have cdecl functions. The function definitions in the public header file do not specify a function calling convention. This means linking to this dll requires using cdecl as the default calling convention. At the company I work at, we use stdcall as the default calling convention, which means it's not possible to link against the precompiled dll easily.

So basically something that looks like this:

#ifndef CALLING_CONVENTION
#define CALLING_CONVENTION __cdecl
#endif

void CALLING_CONVENTION sqlite3_free(void*);

(2) By Gunter Hick (gunter_hick) on 2020-04-08 06:23:34 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Did you see the following snippet from sqlite3.h? Does this not provide for easily building a dll with your own preferred calling convention?

/*
** Provide the ability to override linkage features of the interface.
*/
#ifndef SQLITE_EXTERN
# define SQLITE_EXTERN extern
#endif
#ifndef SQLITE_API
# define SQLITE_API
#endif
#ifndef SQLITE_CDECL
# define SQLITE_CDECL
#endif
#ifndef SQLITE_APICALL
# define SQLITE_APICALL
#endif
#ifndef SQLITE_STDCALL
# define SQLITE_STDCALL SQLITE_APICALL
#endif
#ifndef SQLITE_CALLBACK
# define SQLITE_CALLBACK
#endif
#ifndef SQLITE_SYSAPI
# define SQLITE_SYSAPI
#endif

(5) By std_haxxer on 2020-04-08 22:39:05 in reply to 2 [source]

I saw those comments before posting this question, but turns out these properties are never actually used in the public header.

It's possible to make my own DLL using a different calling convention but I was trying to use the precompiled DLL downloaded from the website. Someone mentioned that Windows comes with a SQLite DLL in the system32 folder which uses stdcall so that'll work for me, even though the version might be a bit old.

(3) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2020-04-08 14:55:57 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

You can compile a STDCALL version of the SQLite library as follows:

nmake /f Makefile.msc USE_STDCALL=1 sqlite3.dll

Or, you could just link against C:\Windows\System32\winsqlite3.dll which is already compiled to use STDCALL instead of CDECL.

(4) By std_haxxer on 2020-04-08 22:35:10 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Thanks! Using the one in system32 will work for my use case.