SQLite Forum

SEE release history
Login

SEE release history

(1) By anonymous on 2021-12-07 08:26:28 [link] [source]

How long has SEE been available on the market like the year of first release?

(2) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-12-07 11:19:39 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Since 2004.

(3) By Harald Hanche-Olsen (hanche) on 2021-12-07 13:13:52 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

And just because I am curious, having never heard of SEE: What is it? It seems like an impossible thing to google.

(4) By Bob C (rchapman) on 2021-12-07 13:16:27 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

See https://sqlite.org/support.html. ;)

(5) By Gunter Hick (gunter_hick) on 2021-12-07 13:25:32 in reply to 3 [source]

It's a special version of SQLite that encrypts the database file to prevent prying eyes from dumping its contents via the published file format and "regular" SQLite library from accessing it

(6) By Ryan Smith (cuz) on 2021-12-07 13:25:58 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

It seems like an impossible thing to google.

Really?

It's the SQLite Encryption Extension, a commercial addition to SQLite maintained by the SQLite developers that makes any SQLite DB work as-is but with all data safely encrypted.

My very first google attempt for https://www.google.com/search?q=sqlite+SEE hits these at the top:

www.sqlite.org/see/doc/release/www/index.wiki

and

sqlite.org/purchase/see

Are you Googling from China perhaps?

(7) By Harald Hanche-Olsen (hanche) on 2021-12-07 15:31:12 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Are you Googling from China perhaps?

No; I guess my google-fu has gone downhill a bit. But thanks.

By the way, there is a free alternative: SQLCipher. I don't know how good it is, or how it compares with SEE.

(8) By Ryan Smith (cuz) on 2021-12-07 18:44:41 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

It is relatively well-known here. I've not used it outside of test-benches since most of our projects use SQLite for rapid storage and caches for data that is either already-encrypted, or simply unimportant, but from my tests and what I've seen said about it, seems quite good.

The real luxury of SEE itself lies of course in the fact that it is made by the SQLite Devs, it evolves with SQLite, promises longevity, is feature-intertwined with, and enjoys the same full testing as SQLite itself - and, most importantly, if your project has any bit of real-world size/importance, it comes with full support from people who know both SQLite and SEE inside-out. That's worth paying for.

It also sports a forum, just like this, where you can get help from others even, albeit a slightly smaller number of patrons.

Otherwise, if you just want something simple that works and do not need any serious guarantees, SQLCipher will do you just fine.