SQLite Forum

simple insert issue with 3.35.5 - .sqliterc issue?
Login

simple insert issue with 3.35.5 - .sqliterc issue?

(1) By anonymous on 2021-04-19 20:21:09 [link] [source]

I ran into a problem with a work computer. After much head scratching, etc, I tried my home computer. After more head scratching, I finally reduced this to a simple test case.

For sqlite-3.35.5 compiled with gcc or with clang on a linux machine - that's the work setup - or for version 3.32 on my MacOS machine, if I do this:

$ cat ~/.sqliterc .headers on

$ sqlite3 sqlite> create table foo(a text, b text unique); sqlite> insert into foo values ("a", null), ("a2", "b1"), ("a3", "b2"), ("a4", null); sqlite> select * from foo; a|b a| a2|b1 a3|b2 a4|

When I remove ~/.sqliterc, I get different results:

$ rm ~/.sqliterc

$ sqlite3 sqlite> create table foo(a text, b text unique); sqlite> insert into foo values ("a", null), ("a2", "b1"), ("a3", "b2"), ("a4", null); sqlite> select * from foo; a| a2|b1 a3|b2 a4|

Any thoughts or suggestions? Perhaps something has changed with respect to the processing of the .sqliterc file?

Thanks!

David

(2) By Keith Medcalf (kmedcalf) on 2021-04-19 21:30:45 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

The results are the same. The former mere has a ".header on" row containing the column headings, and the one where no ".headers on" command is processed does not. The data is the same.

(3) By anonymous on 2021-04-19 23:54:57 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense ... and I should have been able to figure out my own mistake. Too many distractions.

... though, now that I think about it, it would have helped if the column headings were underlined. Is there any way to make those appear? ie,

select * from foo; a|b --- <--- ASCII / poor man's column header underlines :-) a| a2|b1 ...

Either way, thanks for the quick response.

(4) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-04-20 00:09:55 in reply to 3 [source]

At the CLI shell, enter the following: .help .help mode Then enter: .mode box .header on

Then run your query. The .help commands will explain what you see.