SQLite Forum

3.33.0 column mode breaks -noheader in CLI
Login
> I'm still interested in your argument for eliminating auto-headers

Mainly because this is a change in default behavior from previous versions, and I know we all appreciate the SQLite philosophy of backwards compatibility and max/high capability.  And, previous versions already had various ways of turning on/off headers – which was separated from how to format the result columns (.mode, -csv, etc.).  Now, depending on the .mode (or -mode?), there is a connection between result column formats and the presence of headers.  It seems like the desired behaviors we both cite were available with previous capability.

I should also clarify my use case was accumulating output across multiple invocations of the CLI, against *multiple databases* – not multiple tables within a database.   That accumulation was easily accomplished by a sequence of CLI invocations using the same SQL input, with only tweaking the CLI options to get the desired result of just one set of headers.  This capability worked for multiple column modes (e.g. csv, column) specified in various ways (e.g. .mode or -mode).  For mode column accumulations, it might be necessary to explicitly set column widths in the SQL input – but that was manageable.  To be clear, I like the .mode column auto-width feature – just not at the expense of -[no]header and the linking of header presence with result column formats.

As an aside, I find it interesting the modification involved adding code rather than removing – to restore previous capability regarding headers -- while retaining the now default auto-width of column mode (which I like).  I thought previous versions had all the desired capability, but perhaps I’m missing a use case.  But now I’m nit-picking…

I’ve been using SQLite for a non-profit educational and public welfare use for ~5 years with 100s of millions of rows, and have found SQLite to be a gem.  I like the approach, the philosophies (recently listened to Hipp podcast, have read many of the advocacy/explanatory web pages, etc.), capability, performance, and the flexibility.  And of course I very much appreciate and admire the work of the developers, even if y’all can be a bit prickly sometimes.  :-)

Thanks for asking, and responding, and for your work on SQLite.  Have a great weekend.

--Bradley