SQLite Forum

Build for Apple Silicon
Login

Build for Apple Silicon

(1) By MBS on 2020-06-24 07:04:26 [link]

Hello,

I can report that we got SQLite built for Apple's new ARM MacOS architecture.

We'll have to wait for the test computer to arrive, before we can try it.

Greetings
Christian

(2) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2020-06-25 02:45:19 in reply to 1 [link]

I'd be interested to know how benchmark timings differ between the version you built, and a version built to run on the (emulated ?  whatever Rosetta 2 does) Intel architecture.  You could certainly have two versions of the SQLite command-line shell working side by side.

(3) By MBS on 2020-06-25 05:40:48 in reply to 2

We have to wait for the Mac with ARM CPU to arrive.
But if you like to run benchmarks, build an iOS app now as I expect this to be similar in architecture.

(4) By Wout Mertens (wmertens) on 2020-06-25 10:23:15 in reply to 3 [link]

The question is if the Mac Mini will use the same CPU as the iPad Pro (likely) and the same clockspeed (probably), and if the cooling will be similar (likely).

If the Mac Mini has a larger thermal envelope, it will be faster for high loads. 

However, since SQLite is I/O constrained, I expect performance to be completely determined by the speed of the DRAM and the SSD, which might be better specs as the iPad Pro but are likely the same.

(5) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2020-06-28 07:31:19 in reply to 4 [link]

That's a question.  But my question was designed to find out how efficient Rosetta II is compared to executing native ARM code.  There may be a big different in time between the Intel compilation and the native ARM compilation.  But any differences may be completely swallowed by the time taken by storage access.

(6) By JLG (jlg89tx) on 2021-05-26 17:41:35 in reply to 1 [link]

Maybe this should be in another thread, but I'm running a Windows 10 ARM virtual machine in Parallels on Apple Silicon, so I'm looking for a Windows ARM version of SQLite Database Engine.

Or does the x64 version run OK on Windows 10 ARM?

(7) By anonymous on 2022-10-16 18:47:31 in reply to 6 [link]

I am also looking for windows Arm drivers for parallels on a Mac m1. The x64 drivers don’t work for me.