SQLite Forum

Connect to sample Database
Login
First, to the best of my knowledge, that tutorial site has no official connection to "core" SQLite and this forum... any difficulties with the _tutorial_ are probably best addressed to that site.

Having said that, your problem is confusing a CMD command-line with an SQLite command-line (I've not looked at the tutorial, so I don't know if it's their fault for not making it clear enough `:-)`)

To address the "cannot get out of"... any SQL statements given to the SQLite shell needs to be terminated with a semi-colon. These commands can span multiple lines (hence the `   ...>` prompt), so you are being prompted to enter the rest of the command, together with the terminating semi-colon.

To get out, type `;` and press `ENTER` (you'll get an error message of some kind: ignore it) then type `.quit` (or just `.q`) and press `ENTER`. This will return you to the command-prompt.

(In passing, any command starting with a full-stop are "internal" commands to the SQLite shell, and are _not_ SQL statements. As such, they do _not_ need to be terminated with a semi-colon).

Your main problem is that `sqlite3 c:\sqlite\db\chinook.db` is a command-line command: start the SQLite shell _and_ open the database `c:\sqlite\db\chinook.db`. If you give this now (instead of just `sqlite3`) things should get one step further.

You _can_ use the SQLite shell's `.open` command to open a database after you've launched the shell, but you have to "fight" with backslashes (either doubling them, or using forward-slashes instead).