SQLite Forum

Revert previous versions of SQLite database file
Login

Revert previous versions of SQLite database file

(1) By anonymous on 2020-07-03 06:04:15 [link]

I accidentally overwritten a note on the Notes on my Mac so what I did was locate the SQLite database file, had someone ran scripts and I was finally able to read the text. But the files I found was dated AFTER the accident so I was wondering if there was a way I could revert to previous versions so that I could find my text? Many thanks.

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-07-03 06:08:14 in reply to 1 [link]

> ...  I was wondering if there was a way I could revert to previous versions so that I could find my text?

sqlite has no built-in way to do that. It's only possible if the app which owns the database provides the feature or if a manual backup was made.

(3) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-07-03 16:53:00 in reply to 1 [link]

You may be able to recover an old DB using Time Machine or another backup system running on the Mac.

Also, please don't re-post the same question. I just rejected a nearly-identical posting to the top post in this thread. If you have more detail to add, Mr. Anonymous, reply to this topic so we can keep the discussion in one place. Thanks.

(4) By anonymous on 2020-07-04 19:10:13 in reply to 3 [link]

I apologize, I thought no one responded to my question. So it's basically the modification date I would like to alter/revert to an older one (before the accident happened). Kinda like an undo/rollback. Is that even remotely possible?

(5) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-07-04 19:49:06 in reply to 4

>  Is that even remotely possible?

Please re-read the older responses. They answer this for you.

(7) By anonymous on 2020-07-04 20:10:58 in reply to 5 [link]

Thanks, appreciate it.

(6) By Richard Damon (RichardDamon) on 2020-07-04 19:57:12 in reply to 4 [link]

The basic answer, as was said before, SQLite does not carry 'undo' or 'rollback versioning' information (at least not past performing a COMMIT). If YOU were doing some sort of backups, then YOU can go back and restore to them.