SQLite Forum

Why no release announcement in this Forum anymore?
Login

Why no release announcement in this Forum anymore?

(1) By anonymous on 2021-04-20 08:44:03 [link] [source]

Somehow SQLite releases are no longer announced here. How come?

How is one supposed to know about them then, these days?

(2) By Max (Maxulite) on 2021-04-20 09:27:03 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

As long as I understand, what you see here as "announcements" are actually pre-release information posted in order to discuss and test upcoming features and changes. The releases that contain fixes (especially critical ones) released simply as downloads with visible traces at different sqlite.org pages, for example at https://sqlite.org/changes.html and sure https://www.sqlite.org/download.html

(3) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-04-20 10:46:50 in reply to 1 updated by 3.1 [link] [source]

All major releases are announced.  Patches, not so much.

(3.1) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-04-20 10:48:16 edited from 3.0 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

All major releases are announced. Patches, not so much. With regard to 3.35.5, we haven't finished building the windows components for that one yet, so even if it were to be announce, such announcement would be premature.

(4) By anonymous on 2021-04-20 11:25:18 in reply to 3.1 [link] [source]

Well, I found the 3.35 Beta announcement, but not the release one. Did I miss it?

It's actually difficult to find posts by original post's date in the forum.
So I could well have missed it. Posts are always ordered by the latest reply,
nor do I see obvious ways to filter for threads starting by a given date range
(maybe a query string allows it?), to find the posts close to a release date.

I don't want to be argumentative. I just wish releases were announced. All of them.
There used to be an ML for announcements I believe, for major and patch releases,
and I wish the forum would be similarly systematically notified like the ML was.

Thank you.

(5) By Richard Hipp (drh) on 2021-04-20 12:00:41 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Maybe I misunderstood you originally:

I didn't post about the 3.35.0 release on the forum. But I did send a release announcement via email to everybody who is signed up to receive announcements in the email alerts section of this Forum.

The "anonymous" user is unable to do that, of course. That didn't occur to me. Should I start putting an announcement in the Forum too?

One ought to be careful of "announcement fatigue". Too many announcements are as a bad or maybe worse than none at all.

(6) By anonymous on 2021-04-20 13:31:35 in reply to 5 [source]

Indeed, I wasn't aware at all about those Email Alerts. How's one supposed to know about them?

Given what you just said, I found a mention of it in https://sqlite.org/forum/register, but I thought that
was only to get email notifications of forum posts, NOT an independent ML specifically for release notices.

And if someone's already getting emails for all forums posts, or following the forum in general,
getting notified of releases does not seem like it is too much. YMMV I guess, but I sure don't mind it.

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2021-04-20 13:51:45 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Indeed, I wasn't aware at all about those Email Alerts. How's one supposed to know about them?

When you're logged in as a non-anonymous user, clicking on your name at the top of the site leads you to a page with a link to configure the various types of notifications. One of the many benefits we offer non-anonymous posters ;).

(10) By ddevienne on 2021-04-21 07:19:45 in reply to 7 updated by 10.1 [link] [source]

FWIW, I double-checked I'm subscribed to the *Announcements* **Topic**, then went back to my GMail archive for the forum emails, and found the 3.35, 3.34, 3.33 release notifications indeed.

But OTOH, I didn't find any of the 3.35.x ones, nor the 3.34.1 one. I did find older patch releases though. GMail search does not quite appear *exhaustive* in what it returns, so did I miss some? Doesn't the forum have a page that shows all announcements, that we can look at? Has all the forum posts, so why not the announcements?

So the OP is not wrong that not all releases are consistently announced perhaps. Maybe it should be part of the release check-list?

(10.1) By ddevienne on 2021-04-21 07:20:51 edited from 10.0 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

FWIW, I double-checked I'm subscribed to the Announcements Topic, then went back to my GMail archive for the forum emails, and found the 3.35, 3.34, 3.33 release notifications indeed.

But OTOH, I didn't find any of the 3.35.x ones, nor the 3.34.1 one. I did find older patch releases though. GMail search does not quite appear exhaustive in what it returns, so did I miss some? Doesn't the forum have a page that shows all announcements, that we can look at? Has all the forum posts, so why not the announcements?

So the OP is not wrong that not all releases are consistently announced perhaps. Maybe it should be part of the release check-list? Or even automated perhaps as well?

(11) By Kees Nuyt (knu) on 2021-04-21 12:41:28 in reply to 10.1 [link] [source]

Doesn't the forum have a page that shows all announcements

No, but if people are willing to visit a forum page with a browser, the SQLite home page and a bookmark to a filter on the repository timeline are good alternatives for release information.

(8) By ThanksRyan on 2021-04-20 14:38:58 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Should I start putting an announcement in the Forum too?

Only if you don't mind approving posts and potentially using it as a bug tracking post.

(9) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2021-04-20 18:31:43 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

No thanks about announcments on the forum. Let people sign up to get them if they want them.