SQLite Forum

download and install - complete newbie
Login

download and install - complete newbie

(1) By anonymous on 2020-07-12 19:48:29 [link] [source]

Apologies for the most basic of questions, but I'm not even sure how to download SQLite for my machine. I have the book "Learn SQL the Hard Way" and it makes it sound so simple, but when I have downloaded and tried to install SQLite on my machine, I don't know how to make sense of the "Binaries" and what I'm supposed to be doing. Does anyone have the time/patience to help someone out? I'm looking for a step by step of what I should be downloading then executing. Thank you so much!

(2) By anonymous on 2020-07-12 20:18:27 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I found a video in Learn SQL the Hard Way which explains it, but my guess is this is still a post which is worthwhile to answer. Looks like this is not simple to install.

(3) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2020-07-12 20:25:32 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

SQLite is not a finished application, it's a programmer's tool supplied as source code. There's no central library which has to be installed in any specific place. You download some source code files (probably just the one big amalgamation source code file) and include them in whatever program you're writing. If you're writing six programs, you include the same source files in those six different programs.

From your reference to learning SQL, what you might be wanting to do is use the SQLite command-line tool to learn SQL. In that case you want the section of the download page labelled 'Precompiled Binaries for X' – where X is your operating system. This will give you a program called sqlite.exe or sqlite.app or whatever extension your operating system uses. Again, there's nothing to install. Put it wherever you like and run it.

(5) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-07-12 20:54:21 in reply to 3 [source]

Taking the "complete newbie"'s self-characterization at face value, I add to Simon's advice:

Put the executable image, (which will be named 'sqlite3.exe' for the Windows platform and 'sqlite3' for other platforms), into one of the directories named by the PATH environment variable given to your command-line shell. On Windows, that would likely be cmd.exe, where entering "echo %PATH%" (sans quotes) will show a list of directories. On Unixen platforms, entering "echo $PATH" (sans quotes) in the CLI shell (likely sh or bash) will show a list of directories.

After placing the executable, on Unixen you will want to make it executable, with something like "chmod +x /whatever/the/directory/is/sqlite3" (from the system CLI shell, sans quotes).

After that, you can invoke the SQLite shell by entering "sqlite3". At that point, consult Command Line Shell for SQLite, or enter ".help -all" at the shell prompt, to see how to make the shell do your bidding.

(4) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2020-07-12 20:50:47 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Tell us what your machine is, and which programming language you are expecting to use. It is quite possible that SQLite is already installed.

Also don't confuse the SQLite3 application, a program which you run at the command line in your computer, with the SQLite3 library which will become part of your application.