SQLite Forum

RSS feed not working
Login

RSS feed not working

(1) By Jens Alfke (snej) on 2020-03-13 00:04:15 [link] [source]

I'm glad there's an RSS feed. That said, it isn't working. The only item in it is an empty post titled "initial empty check-in (tags: trunk)".

--Jens

(2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-03-13 00:57:46 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Fossil is a source code management system first and foremost, not forum software. Therefore, the /timeline.rss feature that the RSS feed depends upon does not give you forum posts by default.

I believe the URL you want for this is

https://sqlite.org/forum/timeline.rss?y=f

The key is the parameter at the end.

You can read more about this in the online docs.

(3) By J. King (jking) on 2020-03-13 01:03:24 in reply to 2 [source]

I believe the URL you want for this is

https://sqlite.org/forum/timeline.rss?y=f

The key is the parameter at the end.

You can read more about this in the online docs.

Ironic, perhaps, that the online docs don't document y=f...

(4) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-03-13 01:26:31 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Ironic, perhaps, that the online docs don't document y=f...

It does now. :)

(That change won't appear at the URL above until drh builds and reinstalls Fossil on the server backing sqlite.org.)

(5) By Jens Alfke (snej) on 2020-03-13 23:03:24 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Then that's the URL that should appear as the RSS feed in the HTML header, not this one:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feed" href="/forum/timeline.rss" />

If I tell a newsreader, such as Feedly, to subscribe to this website, it will look up that URL and use it as the feed.

I don't care whether this forum is based on a SCM system; that's an interesting implementation detail, but it means nothing to me as a reader. It's a forum, and the RSS feed should reflect that by presenting a feed of the forum threads.

--Jens

(6) By Jens Alfke (snej) on 2020-03-13 23:07:17 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

I tried the updated URL. This feed contains every single comment in every thread as a separate item. That's really not the best way to do it. The feed should list the threads only. (For example, look at the feed of any blog that supports comments. The feed only shows the blog posts, not the comments.)

If I subscribe to the feed, I don't want to see a huge list of individual comments. My email reader has threading support and groups the threads together; I'd expect the same when using a newsreader.

--Jens

(7.1) By Igor Tandetnik (itandetnik) on 2021-03-03 15:06:56 edited from 7.0 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Deleted