SQLite Forum

ubuntu help
Login

ubuntu help

(1) By curmudgeon on 2020-11-23 15:41:40 [source]

In my quest to learn how to program properly in c/c++ I've installed ubuntu 20.04 on my laptop. I've installed gcc but I'm a bit lost as to where to start. Should I install an IDE like netbeans or would I learn most using gcc make and something like vim as an editor. Most of what I'll be doing will be built around sqlite of course. Any recommendations from the sqlite forum gurus would be gratefully received.

I was previously working via c++ builder (rad studio) on windows 10 but I want to get away from being spoon fed. You've no idea the difficulty I have when it comes to what should be simple things like project files / directories, compiler directives and the like.

(2) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-11-23 20:41:50 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

You have begun quite the quest. Good luck with it.

A simple start would be to read "How to Compile SQLite", where you will find that using gcc is enough (with the source, of course.)

The amalgamation previews, such as today's, contain what is needed to create a makefile suitable for use with gmake which can be readily created on *Nix systems by following instructions from the "README.txt" file in the archive. As I recall, you have to install a package called "automake" for that to work. Once the makefile is created, gmake can be used to build its various targets.

As an old-time developer, I would recommend learning at least the rudiments of the "make way" for specifying build options and procedures. I have been told at times that this is not the modern way. However, when things go wrong with the new-fangled ways, it is helpful to understand the problems they had to solve, or at least tried to solve. Learning to read a makefile is useful and likely will be for quite a while longer.

(3) By curmudgeon on 2020-11-24 07:28:20 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

Thanks Larry.