SQLite Forum

NFS 4 that is guaranteed to work with Sqlite
Login

NFS 4 that is guaranteed to work with Sqlite

(1) By anonymous on 2021-11-02 04:28:53 [link] [source]

Hi,

we see that NFS implementations might have issues with locking because of which sqlite might not function properly. There is a proper documentation available on this from Sqlite: https://www.sqlite.org/howtocorrupt.html#_filesystems_with_broken_or_missing_lock_implementations I need to know if the problem is across all versions of NFS or just version 3. Is NFS 4 version is guaranteed to work with Sqlite.

(2) By Scott Robison (casaderobison) on 2021-11-02 07:33:52 in reply to 1 [source]

I don't know what the team's answer will be, but I think the answer is "they cannot offer any guarantee for any system they do not control". NFS 4 may have a standard that requires compliance with correctly implemented lock implementations, but there is nothing stopping some team from writing an implementation that cuts corners to get ahead of the competition.

The POSIX standard requires that the malloc function returns null when an allocation cannot return a pointer to a block of the given size, leaving programs to believe they have all the resources they need. Linux by default ignores that requirement.

If an NFS 4 implementation violates the requirement, or subsequently breaks the requirement, there isn't really anything the SQLite team can do to help provide a guarantee.