SQLite Forum

Updated Website Idea
Login

Updated Website Idea

(1) By anonymous on 2021-08-20 19:18:51 [link]

A few months about I pitched an idea on Reddit about a site redesign for the main website. It's what I do for a living and I have some time to help an open source project.

I'd like to help if anyone is interested. 

https://gginorio.gitlab.io/sqlite-idea/index.html

(2) By Ryan Smith (cuz) on 2021-08-20 19:39:46 in reply to 1 [link]

Appreciate the effort, but straight-up hate that design intensely.

I felt subtle angst, as though a Skynet attack was imminent...

That's not to say a different one won't be great. Keep in mind though that the SQLite site (to my best knowledge) is largely programmatically produced and so some of the fanciness might not be as suitable.

(3) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2021-08-20 20:24:02 in reply to 2 [link]

Horrible font.

(4) By Scott Robison (casaderobison) on 2021-08-20 20:29:54 in reply to 3 [link]

I think this thread demonstrates "you can't satisfy everyone". There are many people who'd prefer that design, and many who like the "less is more" approach.

More than anything, I suspect a third party offer to help "modernize" the website is bad idea not because the visual design is bad, but because it becomes another distraction that might take away from other things the project needs, especially if the third party discovers they don't have time to help maintain it going forward.

(5) By Larry Brasfield (larrybr) on 2021-08-20 21:26:36 in reply to 1

Your willingness to help is appreciated. However, there are some complications.

One complication (as Ryan suggests) is that significant parts of the site are created programmatically.  Any substantial revamp, even if welcome based upon other factors, would need to include much of the data flow that permits the API to be documented within the source code and thereby become partially documented at the site via a hands-off, automated process.

Another complication is that intra-site linkages and indices are also programmatically managed with little manual tweaking required. Similarly low-maintenance infrastructure would need to be put into place and automated translation of the linkage tips within the present page sources would need to be done.

The most serious non-technical impediment is that a revamp would need to achieve the same or better per-page information density and logical structure. In other words, it would have to function better as a reference for programmers who use the SQLite library. Aesthetics, while having some value (and providing endless opportunities for "improvement"), are not enough to drive such a change.