SQLite Forum

start
Login

start

(1) By agedswill (AGEDSWILL) on 2020-08-30 05:47:47 [link] [source]

I have just installed sqlite. I opened it and started the tutorial to create a table. I clicked on add table and got a panel for editing an existing table, not for a new table as shown in the tutorial. That's a bloody good start - doesn't inspire much confidence!! What is wrong? Gerald Wallis.

(2) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2020-08-30 07:37:41 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

What OS are you running and where did you download "sqlite" from? Seems unlikely you are running the sqlite3 CLI, since you don't click on anything to add a table, you type an SQL statement.

Here's what I get when I do that, in a Terminal window:

Third-Mini% sqlite3

SQLite version 3.28.0 2019-04-16 19:49:53

Enter ".help" for usage hints.

Connected to a transient in-memory database.

Use ".open FILENAME" to reopen on a persistent database.

sqlite> create table xxx (yyy integer);

sqlite>

(3) By Simon Slavin (slavin) on 2020-08-30 12:32:23 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

Please also tell us what tutorial you're following.

(4) By Ryan Smith (cuz) on 2020-08-30 15:36:26 in reply to 1 [source]

As others have stated, that's obviously not SQLite (as in the Engine), but some GUI or Admin app for it.

I have the distinct feeling that SQLiteSpeed might be the culprit (though I'm not sure which tutorial that may be), and if it is the case, please note that:

• When creating a new table, from some menu-options, you are allowed to "Model" (Template) it on the currently selected table, hence the "editing an existing table" feeling, but
    • At the left top, in the table editor, under the table-name, there is a drop-down selector to choose to model a different table,
    • There are several ways of arriving at the Editor without a Modeled table (I won't go into detail because this post is already far outside this Forum's content - help is available from inside the app).
  • Even if the Table is completely new and no Template is selected, there might be 1 suggested PK column present. That's merely so you do not stare at an empty designer, helpful for new folks, but can be safely changed/removed.

If the App in question is something else - I suppose it will have some similar options.

Please see where is the correct place to send questions regarding the app you are using (if SQLiteSpeed, it's right in the Help menu).
SQLite itself is a Database engine and not an app - i.e. it has no GUI, or put another way - if you can "click" anything, you are NOT using SQLite directly.