SQLite Forum

64-bit precompiled Linux binaries
Login

64-bit precompiled Linux binaries

(1) By Daniel (daniel15) on 2020-05-27 18:51:55 [link] [source]

Would it be possible to provide 64-bit precompiled Linux binaries on the SQLite site? I'm using SQLite in an environment where only 64-bit programs can run (no 32-bit glibc is installed) and I don't have root access, so I can't use the 32-bit builds nor can I install SQLite using the OS package manager.

Thanks!

(2) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-05-27 19:12:59 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

I don't have root access, so I can't use the 32-bit builds nor can I install SQLite using the OS package manager.

You don't need root access to build and install it under your home directory. i do have root access on all of my machines but have never once used it to install fossil (which is installed on all of my machines): that's what ~/bin, ~/lib, etc. are for.

For sqlite, the process is something like:

$ tar xzf the-sqlite3-sources.tar.gz
$ cd the-sqlite3-dir
$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME
$ make
$ make install

That will install everything under directories in the "prefix", e.g. the binary will go under ~/bin.

(3) By Daniel (daniel15) on 2020-05-28 01:52:22 in reply to 2 [source]

You don't need root access to build and install it under your home directory

Right... What I meant is that I can't install 32-bit glibc (to get the 32-bit builds running) or the 64-bit Debian/CentOS SQLite package.

You're right that I could compile it myself in my home directory, however since the site has 32-bit builds today, I thought it'd be useful to also include 64-bit builds on the site given a large majority of servers are moving towards 64-bit, rather than having to compile it myself.

Thanks,

(4) By anonymous on 2021-11-30 07:55:46 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Just step on this issue too, VPS I tried to run official binary get failed, and installing on limited resources i386 is out of question, so it would be pretty good if there would be official x64 build.

Thank in advance

(5) By ET (EricTsau) on 2021-12-02 04:29:58 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Don't hold your hopes up because there will never be an official x64 sqlite shell release, not now and not in 50 years time.

There will "only" be a x64 fossil binary release - the scm tool designed specifically to manage sqlite source code

which has a sqlite shell builtin that you can use: fossil sql --no-repository. It's as close to official as you will get.

Go get it at https://fossil-scm.org/home/uv/download.html

(6) By anonymous on 2021-12-02 07:11:16 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

Don't hold your hopes up because there will never be an official x64 sqlite shell release

I didn't "hold my hope" and created simple docker container that compiling static amd64 sqlite3 binary for Linux, so no need to wait 50 years more. Anyone who wanted/needed it, can download from github here. I would try to update it periodically on new releases, but I think it would be great for everyone if https://sqlite.org will use my docker solution and post compiled amd64 for Linux here, - on official web site.

(7) By ddevienne on 2021-12-02 07:44:38 in reply to 5 [link] [source]

[...] there will never be an official x64 sqlite shell release [...]

Really? Did I miss a post? Absence of response from Richard does not mean never.
For the life of me, I don't see why a 64-bit shell would not be provided, eventually.

Just yesterday I was surprised to read a 2019 embedded software survey
pegging 64-bit CPUs at 15% in that market, and most desktop CPUs have
been 64-bit for years now.

(8) By AlexJ (CompuRoot) on 2021-12-02 08:34:44 in reply to 7 [link] [source]

Did I miss a post?

Me too, can't understand the reason to provide i386 compiled version only. Most of VPS doesn't have i386 subsystem by default and usually such are limited in space. That's why I created docker that running latest Alpine Linux and compile it statically against musl instead of relaying in libc that are kind of a problem to compile with. So, one can either compile it yourself using my docker solution and/or get binary that is 0.8Mb in size and that can run on any Linux based OS without any dependency. I hope it would help someone.