SQLite Forum

Forum Critique
Login

Forum Critique

(1) By rp (pizzipie) on 2020-04-09 02:42:35 [link] [source]

I am a new member to this sqlite.org. At the time I joined I really needed someones expertise even though my preferred way of communication for this sort of thing is not email. I was glad to receive the help. When the announcement was made that help was going to be made via forum I was really happy to get rid of the emails.

Now, having used the forum a few times I am wondering If a better format can be used so that files can be up-loaded, different fonts can be chosen code blocks can be shown etc. I have used Linux Forums for years and really like the way those forums work. I realize I don't know what it takes to accomplish this. as far as I am concerned emails can be dropped.

In the interim what is "Markup style" Supposed to do. I have checked all options and the text seems to be all the same.

Thanks for listening,

R

(2) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-04-09 03:31:31 in reply to 1 [link] [source]

files can be up-loaded

It's possible in principle, since the Fossil forum feature is based on its wiki feature at a low level, and Fossil wiki articles allow attachments.

However, every time it's come up over the ~2 years the Fossil Forums has existed, no one has chosen to create the feature.

I suspect this is because forum posting is usually more "open" on a public repository than wiki posting, and no one wants large permanent Fossil block chain artifacts being created by low-privileged users.

If you need to post something you'd describe as a "file," and you don't have permission to commit directly to the Fossil repo in question, it's probably best to just host it elsewhere and point at it.

Not that this matters in your case, because I suspect you're asking as a result of your failure to format the PHP code in this post. We'll come back to that later.

different fonts can be chosen

If by "font" you mean "typeface," I don't see that ever happening, since it isn't a feature of the forum's current markup languages, which purposely separate presentation from semantic markup. Presentation is up to the administrator's skinning preferences.

If you just mean typography features like boldface, fixed-width, etc., then we already have that...

code blocks can be shown

...and already have that.

In the interim what is "Markup style" Supposed to do.

Try replying to this post, then notice that the text you're quoting is a hyperlink. On visiting it, you get taken to a page that answers this very question and shows how you can get code blocks, boldface, hyperlinks out to external sites, etc.

I have checked all options and the text seems to be all the same.

For simple texts, Fossil Wiki and Markdown can be compatible, and they have similar overall philosophies.

However, I don't see how you could not tell the difference between those two and the Plain Text option for the post linked above. That would have solved your formatting problem, though not in the most elegant way, that being the "```php" solution anonymously suggested in reply to the problem post.

This feature is described in "Literal/Verbatim Text - Code Blocks" point 3 of the Markdown Rules document linked from the "Markup Style" text in the posting window.

If you'd prefer to suss this sort of thing out by example rather than by reading the documentation, find a post that's formatted the way you want yours to look and click the "[raw]" link in its header. That will show you the text as written in the reply box, before formatting is applied to it.

(3) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-04-09 04:35:32 in reply to 2 [link] [source]

click the "[raw]" link in its header

Sorry, I forgot that it was changed. It's now "[source]".

(4) By rp (pizzipie) on 2020-04-09 16:28:05 in reply to 3 [link] [source]

Looks like a whole new language to learn just to produce a readable document. Would you please send me an example of a "marked up" page. I assume ``` are back ticks. where is this "[raw]" link.

(5) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-04-09 17:08:14 in reply to 4 [link] [source]

Look at the top of any page such as you see this post in. Direct your focus to the 3rd header line from the page top (below "SQLite Forum ..." and "Threads ...".) There you will see button, 2nd from left which reads "Unformatted" (or "Hierarchical" if you already clicked it.) If it reads "Unformatted", and you want to see the raw input, such as you would type into a reply, which was interpreted as forum markup, (that "whole new language"), click the button.

Voila, there is a plethora of examples!

Here is an example, sent (linked) for your convenience: This page, raw

And, if you cannot find a sample of the effect you want, consult "Mark-down" rules.

(6) By rp (pizzipie) on 2020-04-09 17:51:12 in reply to 5 [source]

I'm replying here. Unformatted doesn't show up. Markup style is set to "Plain Text"
Below is sample php code.

```<php  <------------------------- back tics to be used here??

<?php 

error_reporting (E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);
include('../include/myPhpFunctions.inc');

$database="optumRx.db";
$insertVals="";
$norecords=0;
$noInserts=0;
$headLen=0;
$query="insert.sql";
$table="rxdata";

$dbquery=array();
$values=array();
$header=array();

``` <-------------------------- and here???

Is this what I should expect to see with my sample code??

(7) By Stephan Beal (stephan) on 2020-04-09 17:56:27 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Opening triple backticks must be followed by a newline or CSS class name (followed by a newline).

(8) By Warren Young (wyoung) on 2020-04-09 18:41:13 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

Here's your program properly marked up:

<?php 

$database="optumRx.db";
$insertVals="";
$norecords=0;
$noInserts=0;
$headLen=0;
$query="insert.sql";
$table="rxdata";

$dbquery=array();
$values=array();
$header=array();

Click the [source] link above to see the raw version.

Also, as to your comment about "a whole new language," realize that Markdown is used in a lot of places these days, from Github to StackExchange to Reddit. Time spent learning it should pay off for much more than just posting here.

(9) By Larry Brasfield (LarryBrasfield) on 2020-04-09 18:47:15 in reply to 6 [link] [source]

I don't know how your browser can have been published in the last few years for general use and not display this page with that "Unformatted" button where I said it is. It does not show a button outline until the pointer hovers over it, so maybe that threw you off. But it's there as rendered by MS Edge and recent Firefox browsers. It is not on the composition page, just the Threads page.

Here is some quoted code:

<?php 

$database="optumRx.db";
$insertVals="";

As Mr. Beal advised, it is enveloped by lines containing only triple-backtic. And empty lines surround the block. You can see that for yourself by clicking that "Unformatted" button. FYI, my browser's text search function finds it as the first hit.

(10) By Tim Streater (Clothears) on 2020-04-09 19:48:01 in reply to 9 [link] [source]

Fine here with Safari, too.