SQLite Forum

VS and NuGet and SQLite pkg version
Login

VS and NuGet and SQLite pkg version

(1) By eKundl on 2021-10-15 18:41:11

I'm using VS2017, WinForms.
i've got numerous Solutions in the last 4/5 years using SQLite and Dappers microORM.

when i would start a new Solution/Project i would just use NuGet and install whatever was the latest System.Data.SQLite.Core package.
so i have programs/exe with various versions, 1.0.110, 1.0.111.0, 1.0.113.3 for example.

i'm going to add another Solution to an earlier program that will read from a database created/maintained by that earlier program.

i was just going to use NuGet and install the same earlier package version 1.0.110.0, however, NuGet in VS is only showing 1.0.115.0.

so... i notice that in the earlier Solution, NuGet created a folder named packages which has the .dlls and interop files, and i was thinking i'd just copy those to the new solution... but i don't know what else NuGet might be doing to 'install' SQLite into the solution.

or i can just update the earlier Solution to the latest package 1.0.115.0, which probably would be less of a headache.

Am I going to encounter incompatibilities/ failed project compiles etc if i update from 1.0.110.0 to 1.0.115.0? 

i'd like to do whatever causes me less work/less time to get it right.

thanks... eric

(2) By mistachkin on 2021-10-19 01:43:22 in reply to 1 [link]

In general, the latest release of System.Data.SQLite should be used.  There
should not be any backward incompatible changes between releases unless they
are specially marked in the release notes, e.g.:

[https://system.data.sqlite.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/news.wiki]

If the latest release of System.Data.SQLite cannot be used, it should still
be possible to force a previous release to be used via the "package restore"
feature of NuGet:

[https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/nuget/consume-packages/package-restore]

(3) By eKundl on 2021-10-19 04:26:36 in reply to 2 [link]

ok, thanks...
didn't know about the package-restore feature.

i went ahead and started the new solution with the latest package and updated my existing solutions that go against the same database to the latest package and they all seem to work without a problem.

thanks for the reply...