SQLite Forum

Documentation does not show when a feature was added
Login
I apologize for posting anonymously; I prefer that to creating an account that will likely be used only once.

A recent post asked when __IFF__ was added, and I had a similar experience.  I was attempting to write a query using __INSERT FROM.__  Although I was following the sample code almost to the letter I kept getting syntax errors. It was only after an extremely frustrating hour of trying slightly different query formats, writing test __SELECT__ queries using the pattern expected in __FROM ( ... ) AS name__ and trying a similar query in MySQL (that worked) did it occur to me I should check the version of SQLite I was using.

I'm on Fedora 31 (no pressing need yet to update to 32.) It ships with 3.30.0 and was built less than a year ago. Imagine my astonishment when I discovered __INSERT FROM__ was included *only with the current release!*

In my opinion, all new features should be tagged in the documentation with text such as _as of version #.## released on **date**_, and that text be kept there for a minimum of three years.  Either that or organize the documentation by release version. Using one set of documentation tagged with release information would be easier to set up, aside from having to comb it every once in a while for old tags.

Spencer Jamison  
<spencer@groupbcl.ca>