SQLite Forum

alter table RENAME COLUMN took 3 hours
Login
Well, I’d like to try it, but I’ve got no experience building and installing software like this.  I was using SQLite 3.24, which came from Apple with Mojave, and with some flailing I managed to install SQLIte 3.31.1 using homebrew and I don’t feel I have the time to start exploring down another rabbit hole.

I know that schema is ugly.  I did not design it.  It came from a tool called REDCap which has very limited capabilities.    It’s easy to export from REDCap and I found it very easy to import into SQLite for reporting and analysis.

SQLite is absolutely fantastic.  I’ve used Oracle heavily since about 1987 doing extensive development work with it.  I’ve also used MS SQL Server a fair amount and have dabbled with several other SQL engines.  I am very impressed with what I can do with SQLite.  Aside from this little problem it has very easily handled everything I’ve thrown at it.  Thank you for this jewel of a piece of software.

And yes, this is a small schema compared to others I have worked with, including some I have designed myself.   This one was mainly created to produce reports.

BTW, Oracle would not chase around and try to fix all of my triggers and references if I change the name of a table or column and frankly I prefer that behavior.   I used to change names in order to hide things.  SQLite makes it harder to, for example, to replace a table with a joined view, something I might well want to do.  But, maybe you had good reasons to do it this way.  

And sorry for the very long post of the schema.  I wondered if there was a better way to do that.