SQLite Forum

Saving Wikipedia to SQLite
Login
> I had wondered whether the book was worth your time.

That's a hard question to answer, because it depends on what you consider "worth."  Overall, I think I've made about $10,000 from the book.  A nice sum, but noticeably less than my real job pays me in a month.  Not a great deal, especially when you consider the book represents well over 1000 hours of work, that was all fit in while working a full-time job at a game development company.  So if you just want to look at dollars and hours, not really.

But that's not why you take on a project like that.  While it doesn't mean as much these days, 10 or 15 years ago, to say you'd written "an animal book" was a bit of a pinnacle.  It's freaking golden on a resume.  It was also nice author perk to have unlimited access to O'Reilly's catalog.  At one point I broken their online system book system because I had more than 200 titles in my account.

Perhaps more important, it really taught me how to write, and that's something I pass on to younger developers: learn to write approachable, readable tech documents.  The best idea is worthless if you can't express it to someone else.   It's also true that "They who controls the design document, controls the team," and that can be the most junior person on the team, as long as they're willing to stand up and do the work-- because chances are nobody else wants to.

> I learned a lot from it, but the one specific I remember was not SQLite-specific.

Yes, we realized that most people that are new to SQLite are programmers looking for a database, not DBAs looking for something small and lightweight.  As such, while the API chapters and such are only about SQLite, they're actually a pretty small part of the book.  Much of the book spends a lot of time approaching the subject of how to use and utilize relational systems, but approaching the topic from the mindset of a developer, not a database expert.  But it does spend a lot of time on general database topics.